Journal Athletes of the Week

Claire Meadows

Women’s Basketball

Claire Meadows led the Golden Gaels to victory over the Windsor Lancers last Saturday, helping improve the team’s record to 3-2 on the season.

Meadows, the team’s captain, guided the Gaels with a double-double against the Lancers, scoring 17 points and adding 14 rebounds—a notable feat for a shooting guard. She also added four steals and two assists in the victory.

Meadows has had a double-double in every match this season, and is averaging 15 points per game.

As a veteran on a very young team, Meadows said that she is excited about being a leader on the rebuilding squad.

“This year I have a little bit more of a leadership role,” she said. “I have to set a good example by working hard every day.”

Although the team lost six of last year’s 12 players, and four of five starters, Meadows is optimistic about this year’s squad’s potential.

“We are extremely young, we are undersized, and we are going to have to work for everything,” she said. “I definitely think we will make the playoffs, but we need to work on our consistency.”

Meadows is a fourth-year Phys-Ed student, but is not planning to be done with the Gaels anytime soon.

“I’m planning on coming back to Queen’s for another year,” she said. “ I will play for a fifth year here.”

This is the second time Meadows—a North Park Secondary School graduate from Brantford, Ontario—has been selected as athlete of the week in her Gaels’ career.

Devon Miller
Men’s Volleyball

Devon Miller, a third-year environmental studies and psychology medial, had an exceptional weekend, helping the Queen’s men’s volleyball team to a pair of wins.

A graduate of Oakville Trafalgar High School, Miller had 36 assists and seven digs against Western, and then recorded 55 assists, three kills, four blocks and seven digs in a five-set match against Windsor.

“As the team’s primary setter, Devon quarterbacks our offence,” said head coach Brenda Willis. “It is his consistent leadership and his tremendous athleticism that has put us in the 7-2 [season record] we are in.”

Miller said his team members are beginning to believe in their abilities.

“We’re kind of getting more confidence,” he said. “We are starting to realize that we can do some serious damage.”

Miller added that he has high hopes for the team.

“I’d definitely say we have a shot at the OUA finals,” he said. “I think Ryerson is the best team in the league right now, and I think McMaster and York are also very strong.”

Miller said he gives a lot of credit to his teammates for his success.

“We have a lot of guys that can do a lot,” he said. “We don’t have one big banger—we have a lot of great hitters. I can be more strategic [as a setter], and I don’t have to go to the same guy.”

Miller also cited team chemistry as an important factor.

“We’ve had a core group of guys from my first year, and we have a few really solid rookies,” he said.