My Ghettohouse: Kickin’ around at the Dude Ranch

The guys at the Dude Ranch live in peace and harmony—except on Fridays.

Nickname: the Dude Ranch

What: a nine-bedroom house

Where: Centre and King Streets

How much: Rent is $325/month plus utilities

Who: Jamie Miller, MSc ’07, Jon Marck, ArtSci ’06, Craig Langridge, Sci ’07, Mike Gowing, ArtSci ’06, Jordan Fast, ArtSci ’06, Dan Moore, ComSci ’06, Jon Hoddenbagh, ArtSci ’06, and Leigh Halliday, a computer programmer for the National Cancer Institute of Canada here at Queen’s.

Favourite thing about the house: “We have a music room, where bands can practice and we can be as loud as we want,” Moore said, referring to the musical instruments set up in the basement.

Residents of the Dude Ranch also said they like the people they live with and the neighbourhood, which includes many non-student residents.

“There’s a lady next door who sells tea, which is cool. And there’s a trolley that goes by our house twice a day,” Moore said, referring to the city’s Confederation Tour Trolley. Least favourite thing about the house: “Living with [Gowing] is pretty bad,” Halliday joked. “Having eight guys trying to use one stove at once,” Miller added, and said they’ve had a kitchen fire. However, the house has three bathrooms which might make up for its shortcomings.

What’s the story? The Dude Ranch came together two years ago through mutual friends, with a few housemates coming and going. “We came in little groups, all needing a place to live,” Halliday said. “It’s worked out really well.”

Over time, the Dude Ranch has become famous for the stuffed buffalo head that hangs on the wall in the living room, which came from Gowing’s parents’ basement, along with a Russian rug and the helmet from a suit of armour.

A testosterone-heavy all-male house is bound to have a fair amount of rivalry, and the Dude Ranch sees no shortage of that.

“We never fight—except on Fridays,” Moore said.

Friday night fights have become a ritual for the guys at the Ranch.

“Fight night involves two housemates brawling until bleeding—if not unconscious,” Miller explained.