COMPSA race gets two teams

Both presidential candidates for the upcoming Computing Students’ Association (COMPSA) election, Elizabeth Craig, ComSci ’07, and Tim Ginn, ComSci ’08, are running with the goal of increasing student involvement.

“[I] want members to take a more active role within the School of Computing and a more active role in general,” Craig said.

Like last year’s election, only two candidates are running for the relatively new COMPSA executive. This is the third year the faculty society’s election has taken place.

Ginn said one of his main campaign promises is for more diverse student involvement opportunities and a wider variety of social events.

“I want more events that appeal to first-years,” he said, “[as well as for] people who choose not to drink.” Craig also expressed concern with first-year activities, adding that she wants COMPSA to have more control over their faculty’s orientation.

Craig said Orientation Week is one of the most important events COMPSA hosts, adding to its sense of community.

“By the end of Frosh Week all the first-years know each other,” she said.

Both candidates were on this year’s COMPSA executive, Craig as a Social Affairs Commissioner and Ginn as Internal Affairs Commissioner. However, the candidates are running on distinct platforms.

Craig said she wants to improve computing students’ representation within the University.

“I want to make sure COMPSA’s voice is always represented at all AMS and ASUS meetings,” she said. She added she also wants COMPSA to be given a seat on the Senate like other faculty societies, which will enable the faculty to affect the practices of TAs, an area she said they’ve had problems with in the past.

Ginn’s platform involves reaching outside of the Society. He plans to get involved with the Lego League, an elementary school robotics competition which will allow ComSci students to mentor and teach local elementary school students in the fields of science and technology.

He added that he has plans to have COMPSA take over the pilot project Computers for a Cause, a branch of the Queen’s Project on International Development that was discontinued last year.