Referendum results a slow count

The results for the most question-heavy referendum in recent memory came in at 9:30 p.m. last night, one day after the final ballot counting began.

Out of the 31 binding referendum questions and two non-binding plebiscite questions, everything passed but one of two plebiscite questions.

Voter turnout was 32.3 per cent of eligible voters. Because turnout was more than 19 per cent, questions needed 50 plus one per cent to pass. This was a lower threshold than the fall referendum, which had less than 19 per cent voter turnout, requiring questions to have 55 per cent of votes to pass.

The plebiscite question asking students if they would support the current proposal for the installation of a gourmet coffee shop to be owned and operated by a University-contracted food provider—currently Sodexho—in the Stauffer library foyer didn’t pass.

34.04 per cent of respondents voted in favour of the question, while 63.21 per cent voted against it. The other plebiscite question asked students if they support, in principle, the installation of a gourmet coffee shop in the foyer of Stauffer library. The question passed with 66.85 per cent for and 30.46 per cent against.

See full results on page 5.