Passing on V-Day romance? Try this

The Journal’s tips for single survival

If you’re not busy getting busy on Valentine’s Day, try Bikram yoga for a change of pace.
Photo courtesy of bikramyoga.com

It’s that time of the year again—Valentine’s Day is upon us. For couples, this generally means dinner, roses and lovey-dovey glances. But for single kids like me, it means begrudgingly stomping through the snow, with the wind a bit more biting than usual.

So if you’re not busy getting busy tonight, here are some things you could be doing instead.

Hot Yoga

Last week, I discovered hot yoga on a whim, and it was love at first pose. Don’t let the double meaning fool you—hot yoga isn’t “sexy” yoga.

It’s Bikram yoga, a series of 26 asana postures and two breathing exercises that are done in a heated room. However, it will make you feel sexy and fabulous when you’re done.

The studio is located at 80 Princess St., and the student drop-in cost is $14. Classes are 90 minutes long and are perfect for beginners. There are four classes today, at 6 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

Make sure you arrive early, wear cool clothing and prepare to get sweaty.

Skating

Skating is one of my favourite winter activities, and no amount of hugging and pillow talk can compare with whipping around the ice at a lightning speed. And with all the couples at home doing it, there should be plenty of room for you to get it done on the ice.

This year, the City of Kingston built an outdoor rink at Market Square, located behind City Hall. It’s open from 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., so there’s plenty of time to get your skate on.

If that’s too far for you, lazy bones, Jock Harty Arena also has recreational skating at a variety of times—check out goldengaels.com for more info, and be sure to bring your student card.

A Night Out

There really isn’t anything a night of drinking and dancing can’t cure. It’s the perfect remedy if you’re really bummed about being single.

Also, with couples more than likely absent from the bar scene tonight, you don’t have to worry about those awkward “I wasn’t looking at her/him in that way” conversations with significant others or having to witness any unsolicited canoodling.

So grab your friends, head to your favourite stomping ground and toast to dancing freely with everyone. Who knows? You might get lucky.

A Night In

It’s cold out. So I can completely understand those of you who want to curl up on the couch in front of the warmth of the TV.

You can watch all the Torino Olympic action your little heart desires on CBC. And I know I’m not the only one curious about which crappy singer Simon boots off tonight’s American Idol.

Or you can always rent a movie. New releases include Elizabethtown and Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride. But if you’re in the mood for a sappy cry-fest, there isn’t anything like Ali MacGraw and Ryan O’Neal in Love Story to really tug on your heart strings.

And while you’re at it, pick up a selection of Valentine’s Day candy. Nothing can coat your teeth in sugar quite the way conversation hearts do.

Whatever you decide to do, don’t let the bombardment of red and pink greeting cards get you down. Just think of all the money you’ve saved today on overpriced roses.