All-star game honours Gael

Queen’s hosts first-annual Greg Hulse Memorial soccer game

Greg Hulse, left, shares a laugh with friends at an orphanage in Jamaica in 2004.
Courtesy of the Hulse family

Last year, Greg Hulse, a member of Queen’s men’s varsity soccer team died tragically in a car accident. To honour his memory, the first annual Greg Hulse Memorial High School All-Star game was held on June 3, 2006.

Hosted by Queen’s Athletics at Richardson Stadium, the game brought together coaches and players at both the university and the high school level to celebrate Hulse’s life and his love of soccer.

“Queen’s players wanted to create an event that would honour Greg and this seemed like a perfect platform to do so,” said head coach Al McVicar in an e-mail to the Journal.

Hulse grew up in Kingston and played soccer at the high school level.

“Greg was very involved in high school sports while at Holy Cross, but soccer was very important to him. He loved to compete, he was very determined, and he always displayed great sportsmanship.”

McVicar said that Hulse’s spirit is sorely missed and fondly remembered.

“During his time at Queen’s, [Hulse] also made quite a favourable impression on both his teammates and coaches. His enthusiasm rubbed off on everyone he met and set such a positive example for everyone to follow,” he said.

McVicar said the event was very well received by both players and coaches.

“I had really good feedback from the students involved,” he said.

He added that he hopes that better use of the media prior to next year’s event will increase spectator turnout.

Local talent was assembled and teams were separated in a North vs. South format, according to school location,

The North team won the senior girls’ game by a score of 2-0. Frontenac Secondary School player Jamee Baldry scored the first goal in the 53rd minute. Baldry added to the lead and secured the victory with a goal in the 73rd minute.

Strong goaltending was provided by Ernestown Secondary School’s Amanda Waters and Kingston Collegiate and Vocational Institute’s Paula Washington. The South team was short two players with Napanee District Secondary School’s Robyn Sweet and Regiopolis Notre Dame’s Elissa Riel out with injuries.

The South team came out on top in the boys’ game, winning 3-0 over the North. Again there was no scoring until the second half when goals by KCVI’s Eric Lee and Ben Tennant put the South team ahead 2-0. With a third goal by Evan Minthorn of NDSS in the 83rd minute, victory was secured.

In the girl’s game, Baldry took the MVP honours for the North team, while Genevive Lacasse from KCVI received the award for the South. On the boys’ side, Frontenac’s Chad Reese was named MVP for the North and McMillan was the recipient for the South.

The winning teams were presented with a trophy donated by Jonathan Hulse, Greg’s father. It was the first time any of the high schools had participated in an all-star game.

Queen’s Athletics donated all proceeds from the event to the Jamaica Mission Fund, a charity that Greg supported.