InFocus: Khaki Snack, the Radical Dudez & Fat Robot play reunion show at Lee’s Palace

Campus bands Fat Robot, The Radical Dudez and Khaki Snack played to a nearly packed house at Lee’s Palace in Toronto on Friday, July 21. The Journal caught up with the (mostly) recently-graduated Radical Dudez and Khaki Snack to see what life after the Limestone City might hold.

The Radical Dudez

“Everyone has a purpose in Toronto next year, except me,” says M.Ed ’06 Adam Bell, who will move to Toronto anyway; all the other members, except ArtSci ’07 Anna Hasek, will be there working, or moving on to more school. The Dudez, whose songs “Ukulele” and “Siesta” have recently been used in West 49 commercials, intend to self-record another album and continue gigging.

Khaki Snack

While bassist/cowbell player Chris Provan still hasn’t graduated, ’05s Dave Messer and Derek Burpee are “in the process of reforming,” hoping to have all-new material for their August 11 show at O’Grady’s in Toronto.

Messer has some regrets about their time at Queen’s: “We wanna make ... more CDs and charge more cover,” he said. “We didn’t do that when we were at Queen’s, and I look back now and I’m an idiot for it. We could have made so much fucking money!”

“If we charged five dollars for [our] show [every] Monday—how many Mondays through the school year? 24 times two, that’s times five, that’s ... I don’t even know, but that’s a lot of fucking money we lost! ... So now when we come back to Queen’s and charge $20 a show, fucking pay it and fucking smile.”