Residence guests banned next weekend

University cites security as reason behind the decision

Sian Howard, ArtSci ’10, won’t be allowed to invite his friends to stay in residence over Homecoming weekend.

He said he’s disappointed with the new rule, which imposes upon his Homecoming plans.

“We invited a whole bunch of people and now they have to go stay at a bed and breakfast,” Howard said. “Now I’m thinking a lot of them won’t make it because of money issues.”

Students living in residence received an e-mail at the end of August informing them of the new regulation.

A Homecoming committee, comprised of residence and hospitality services, the principal’s office, the Main Campus Residents' Council (MCRC) and the Jean-Royce Hall Council, determined the new regulation.

“In the past we’ve always limited guests,” said Daryl Nauman, the director of Residence Life.

By banning guests from residence, Nauman said, ResLife hopes to provide safety and security to residents and decrease the amount of work for staff.

“Because of increased activities on campus, it’s quite a load on the student staff to ... limit off-campus guests.”

Although the guest policy may limit the number of students present on Aberdeen, Nauman said the policy was not instituted primarily for that reason.

Nauman said MCRC was part of the discussion but not the decision to ban guests.

MCRC president Mike Koichopolos said the situation isn’t ideal, but he stands by the administration’s decision.

“Had there been further consultation, we could have come to a better conclusion that would meet the same ends of safety and security for all students,” he said.

For the past two years, the student-to-guest ratio has been restricted during Homecoming weekend to one guest per resident. This is the first year no guests will be allowed into resident buildings.

Dons and MCRC staff will enforce the new measures at building entrances, where students will have to display their keys to get into their building.

“We’ll have key checks at night ... and randomly throughout the weekend,” Nauman said.

One exception to the rule will be family members who are visiting for short periods of time.

“Obviously if parents are popping in in the afternoon for a few minutes, they will be allowed,” Nauman said.

The regular visitation policy for those living in residence requires students in double or triple rooms to inform their roommates if they wish to have a guest overnight. Each student is normally allowed two guests to stay overnight and guests must be accompanied by their host at all times while in residence.