Run For the Cure raises $210,000

The men’s rugby team raised more than $13,000 for the run on Sunday.

The Queen’s rugby team raised about $12,000 for breast cancer research research. The team was among 1,841 participants in the 15th annual Canadian Breast Councer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure.

Korin Flindall, co-director of Kingston’s Run for the Cure, said their preliminary fundraising figure was about $210,000.

Early Sunday morning, eager participants and volunteers gathered to begin the run at St Lawrence College. After brief opening ceremonies and warm up stretches, the participants were on their way in swarms of pink and white.

Despite the rain, pink balloons, pink wigs, costumes, face paint, flags, and music filled the field.

Evan Glowacki, Sci ’08 and captain of the Queen’s Rugby team, helped organized 90 fellow teammates to participate in the Run for the Cure. The team has been participating in the run for six years and last year managed to fundraise close to $14,000.

“Breast cancer affects so many people,” Glowacki said, “It is important to get research and help local support centres. I’m really proud of the guys for all their work”

Although the morning was filled with excitement and energy, it was also emotional at times for survivors of breast cancer and those who had lost loved ones.

Deb Chinnery, captain of the Together Again Team, led a group of breast cancer survivors at the run. Most of the members of Together Again are from Breast Cancer Action Kingston and have been affected by breast cancer at some point in their lives.

“The Run is important,” Chinnery said. “It will get us out in the public and let everyone know that, yes, there are survivors and you are not alone.”

Kingston resident Sue Cashman won a prize for raising $4,268, the largest sum of money raised by an individual. A breast cancer survivor herself, Cashman said the Run for the Cure is very personal to her.

“My sister also has breast cancer,” she said, adding that she’s also running for her two friends who died of breast cancer.

Pat Smith, chair of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation Ontario Chapter, stressed the importance of fundraising to continue critical breast cancer research, and fund community awareness and education programs.

“We have priority of using money wisely for research, community support programs, and awareness,” she told the Journal. “Our goal is to find a future where we don’t have to think about [breast cancer].”