$340,000 for energy efficient lights

Plan saves $120,000 a year

The University is committing about $340,000 towards making its lighting more energy-efficient,
as well as unveiling a new energy generation system in partnership with Kingston General Hospital.

Associate Vice-Principal (Operations and Facilities) Tom Morrow said the current plan would
see the money invested towards 26 projects retrofitting lighting in nine campus buildings, and could be
implemented as early as this term. The proposal will save about 1,000 megawatt hours of energy each year, translating into $120,000 dollars in energy savings for the University.

“[The projects] have a payback of about three years, and our expectation is that the University would see that as attractive and would do it,” Morrow said, adding that this is something the University has targeted in the past. “In past projects of this type, when we upgrade the lighting to save energy, it generally results in better lighting as well—we applynew technologies and end up with the better product,” he said. “We’ve been going through and upgrading lighting on the campus as part of our energy conservation strategy.” Although it would be difficult to retrofit lighting in classrooms during the school year, Morrow said changes to corridors and individual offices could begin “almost immediately.”
Morrow said the project was sparked by a suggestion from Vice- Principal (Operations and Finances)

Andrew Simpson that Physical Plant Services followed up.