Men’s rugby wins in a romp

Women’s team loses tight game to Waterloo

Women’s rugby will look to rise in the rankings Saturday in Guelph.
Justin Wu

The Queen’s men’s rugby team ended their two-game losing streak with a dominant 58-0 defeat of the Carleton Ravens last Friday. The Gaels jumped out front quickly with four tries in the first half and never looked back, scoring six more in the second.

Haddon Murray and Colin Alexander led the way with two tries each, while James Potter, Zander Nemetz-Sinchein, Alistair Viegas, Colin Franke and Zach Pancer added a try each. Ian Gillespie kicked two converts and Pancer added another.

Head coach Peter Huigenbois said the Gaels were largely in control on both sides of the ball. “We were quite dominant in the line-outs offensively and defensively, and I was very happy with the pace of our backline making plays,” he said. “Although the game was a rout, both teams played a hard 80 minutes.” He also gave credit to the Ravens for sticking it out and playing a hard-tackling game.

Despite their dominance, the Gaels had minor difficulties controlling the ball in the opening stages of the match. A turning pointcame in the final minute of the first half, when the men worked the ball
from a lineout at their own 22 and finished with Viegas’s try set up by Colin Alexander.

“It was a great way to get momentum going into the second half,” Huigenbos said of the scoring play.
Huigenbos said the team wasn’t in any danger of becoming overconfident following such a convincing win. “The guys know that the teams that beat us this yearbeat Carleton by similar margins, so they shouldn’t be overconfident,” he said. Meanwhile, the Queen’s women’s rugby team suffered a close 18-17 loss to Waterloo, also on Oct. 6. The team is now tied with the Warriors for third in the Shiels division, sporting identical 2-2 records.

Julie Engelhart led the way for the Gaels with two tries and a convert for a total of 12 points.

Paige Churchill scored the last try for Queen’s. Head coach Beth Barz expressed frustration at the game’s outcome. “We should have won the game because it was so close,” she said. “Physically our effort was pretty good, but our tackling should have been better because it was something we had discussed.” The Gaels were plagued by penalties and botched tackles at inopportune moments and the
Warriors were quick to capitalize. In addition, Barz said the Gaels deviated from their game plan as the match progressed. The Gaels planned to play the ball on the inside to force Waterloo’s centres to focus on defence instead of offence. Barz said the Warriors are a big team and when it became clear that the Gaels were not getting through, the offence decided to take the ball wide.

“We should have stuck with our game plan a little longer in the game, in terms of what works for
us,” she said. The women will look to bounce back in Guelph tomorrow when they face the 3-1 Gryphons.

“We’re capable of beating Guelph, it’s just a matter of whether we decide to play smart,” Barz said.

“They’re a large team, so we’ll have to go around them instead of through them, which is harder than
it sounds sometimes.” The men look to continue their winning ways at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Kingston Field where they will host the University of Toronto Varsity Blues. Huigenbos said he expects several players returning from injury to step in and make a positive impact.

The Gaels have two home games left in their season and can secure first place in their division with wins in both games.