Anarchist professor to speak at Grad Club

Richard Day explains his penchant for disorder and dislike of authority

Sociology professor and anarchist Richard Day is speaking tonight at The Grad Club.
Supplied

Richard Day never wanted to become a professor.

The assistant sociology professor said he believes that everyone gives up his or her power to choose
apathy. One example of this is working for someone else. “I’m giving away my power … by working at Queen’s,” Day told the Journal. “I’m a ward of the state.”

Day is giving a lecture this afternoon about anarchy, and how ordinary citizens can empower themselves in an apathetic environment.

“There are ways in which we can empower ourselves so we don’t have to rely upon [the] government
and bosses to give us what we need,” he said. “We’ve given away our power, myself included, because we’re lazy.”

This power, Day explains, lies in our ability to take care of our own needs. Through the democratic process we have given up this ability and handed it over to outside forces, he said. In his lecture, Day said he will outline how people can empower themselves through their own initiatives, both locally
and globally. His lecture isn’t designed for the converted, though. Day said he hopes that those in attendance will include those who aren’t aware of their own apathy.

“[One should] expose themselves to something a little different. That’s really the goal: to think and live critically.” Day said the Six Nations protest in Caledonia is an example of people working towards
self-empowerment. “There is very brave direct action,” he said. “They’re holding on to the possibility to live [their] lives without being eradicated.” Here at Queen’s, Day explains that we have given up most, if not all, of our autonomy. Through the increasing corporate presence on campus, he said, the University and what it stands for is being eroded. “[The administration] doesn’t want to acknowledge what is special about a university and what makes them not corporate—it’s the critical thinking and a collegial democratic environment. “We need to try to fight this in some way.”

------------------
Day will give his lecture at The Grad Club this afternoon from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Admission is free.