Queen’s taps into iTunes

Agreement will make audio and video footage available at iTunes Music Store

Starting this winter, students will be able to use their iPods to find out what’s happening on campus.

The University is developing a partnership with Apple Computers’ education program, “iTunes U” and that allows the University to post content on a website that can be downloaded to iPods or other mp3s.

“The main reason that we have engaged in this initiative is because we want to communicate with students and alumni in a way that best fits their lifestyle,” said Richard Seres, director of marketing and communications for the University.

“It’s a great way to get the word out there about the University.”

Seres said there’s no cost for a university to engage in the iTunes U program, and all content is available for students to download free of charge.

The online website, entitled “Queen’s at iTunes U,” will be available to the public through the iTunes Music Store sometime before winter break, and will provide users with both audio and video content.

Still in its early stages, Seres said, the site is not developing an academic component at this point, but will feature content such as audio and video footage from University archives, and information about current and upcoming events.

Once the site is released the University will be acquiring feedback from the public and will be enhancing the program to fit its users’ needs.

The iTunes U program has already been put into practice at universities such as Stanford and Carleton.

“iPods dominate 70 to 80 per cent of the portable media market, and thus iTunes is a great vehicle to manage and distribute content,” Seres said.

--With files from Meghan Ferrari