Hitchcock holds open office hours

Domino Pizza

Principal sets aside bi-weekly blocks of time in which to meet with students

Principal Karen Hitchcock is holding open office hours.

Queen’s students got an invitation last week to make a trip to the principal’s office, but not for detention or study hall:

“This will be a wonderful opportunity for me to hear your suggestions and concerns, or just be an opportunity to become better acquainted,” Hitchcock wrote in her e-mail. Hitchcock’s first office hours were on Monday.

Students can schedule 15-minute meetings at Hitchcock’s Dunning Hall office during her bi-weekly office hours. Koby Dering, Sci ’09, said he thinks the Principal’s invitation is a positive proposal.

“It’s a good idea to be able to go see who this person who’s running the University is,” Dering said, adding that he would consider taking advantage of the office hours if he had something to say to Hitchcock.

“If I had any questions, I would go … but there’s nothing, really, that I can think of.”

Alex Wu, Comm ’09, said he finds the idea of sitting down for a chat with the principal intimidating.

“She’s such an authority figure--I doubt if anyone is going to want to go,” he said, adding that he doesn’t really feel Hitchcock’s presence at the University.

Kim Roberts, ArtSci ’09, said she’s a little unsure of what Hitchcock’s position entails.

“I don’t really know what the Principal does, other than come up with papers about what Queen’s should be doing,” she said. In her e-mail to students, Hitchcock said she’ll announce further office hour dates on a bi-weekly basis in Jan. 2007.

The next office hours session will be held on Nov. 13 in Room 140 at Dunning Hall.

Hitchcock is currently in England and wasn’t available for comment.