The Journal’s Fall Report Card for rugby & field hockey

B: Men’s Rugby

The men’s rugby team had a promising regular season, finishing atop the OUA East division. Their strong play carried them through their quarterfinal match against Laurier, but they fell short in the semis against Western. Unfortunately, the Gaels never recovered from the loss, and dropped their bronze medal match to Brock, in similar fashion to last season. However, they can take solace in having a league high six OUA all stars.

B-: Women’s Rugby

The women’s rugby team finished with an average 2-3 record in the Sheils division of the OUA, good for a fourth seed in the playoffs. They faced the fifth ranked McMaster, and lost by three points for a premature end to the season. While the Gaels hoped for better results in both the regular and post season, two Gaels were named as 1st team all stars and head coach Beth Barz was named OUA Coach of the Year.

B+: Women’s Field Hockey

The women’s field hockey team finished with a good regular season record at 8-4-2, but faced longer odds in the OUA playoffs. The Gaels topped Waterloo in the quarterfinal but lost in shootout to OUA champions Toronto in the semi-finals. Last season, the Gaels fell short in their bronze medal match, but made no mistake this season, scoring a 1-0 victory over Guelph. Two Gaels were named as first team all stars, with rookie Emily Newton named to the second team.