PHESA president acclaimed

McClure looks forward to working with changes in PhysEd faculty

Adam McClure, PhysEd ’08, was acclaimed as Physical and Health Education Student Association (PHESA) president on Friday, garnering a perfect 100 per cent of the 102 votes. There was a 26 per cent voter turnout.

“It was a little anticlimactic … but it was exciting and a little scary nonetheless,” he said.

McClure, who’s currently PHESA’s director of external affairs, said one of the biggest challenges of the new job will adapting to changes being made to the PhysEd program.

The School of Kinesiology and Health Studies will provide both a kinesiology and physical education program next year.

The numbers of the incoming class of 2011 won’t change, he said, but half of the first-years will be in PhysEd with the other half in kinesiology.

“We’ll see how that works out in first year and [we’ll try] to integrate the students in the new program into the community,” he said.

“It’s a small faculty. It’s a community-based thing where everyone knows everybody. We don’t want to lose that with the incoming kinesiology students. We want to keep the family feeling.

“We’re waiting to see how that turns out and we’ll go from there.”

Also acclaimed was Christine Soon, PhysEd ’08, who was elected vice-president (university affairs). Soon also received 100 per cent of the 102 votes.

“I’m really excited,” she said. “Unfortunately, voter turnout was a little lower this year. I think [it was because of] the timing of it and it wasn’t promoted as well as it could’ve been this year.”

Soon said she’s looking forward to working with McClure and Erin Sadler, who was elected vice-president (operations).

“I think in general, [I want to] continue to promote PhysEd events and to get good turnout at our events,” she said.

Soon added she hopes to increase awareness of the PhysEd faculty on campus and to continue building relationships with the Kingston community.

Next year is the first year that the structure of PHESA has been changed from having two co-presidents to one president and two vice-presidents.

“Hopefully the three-[member] exec team will work out to be more efficient,” Soon said.

Sadler was elected vice-president (operations) with 68 per cent of votes against Lindsay Morris-Pocock, who received 32 per cent of the votes.

Sadler said she’s excited to take on this job.

“I’ve always wanted to be in a position where I can affect some change and I hope I can achieve that in this position,” she said. “I hop that in the position I can keep a cohesive faculty together and maybe raise the profile of PhysEd, ’cause I think sometimes we get lost in the greater scheme of Queen’s.”

Current PHESA president Hailey Banack said she’s excited about the incoming executive.

“I think the people that won are going to do a really great job for next year,” she said. “I think [one of the biggest challenges will be] making sure we maintain the tight PhysEd family feeling with the incoming kinesiology students and the incoming PhysEd students. The challenge will be in integrating all the students and making everyone feel welcome.

“[McClure]’s a strong leader and he’s definitely competent,” she said, adding that she thinks there was only one candidate running for president because PhysEd is a small faculty.

“You need a year of experience on council so that limits the people that are able to run.”

--With files from Anna Mehler Paperny