Silver lining for women’s hockey

Team loses 5-1 to Laurier in provincial final

The women’s hockey team beat the University of Toronto Varsity Blues for the first time in the playoffs
in six years but lost 5-1 to the Wilfred Laurier Golden Hawks at the provincial championships in London last weekend.

“Obviously, if you get to the championship game, you want to win, certainly,” head coach Harold Parsons said. “Our players played hard. They were committed the entire year, and we came up a little short, so [we were] disappointed with the game on Sunday, but not disappointed with [the season] overall.”

Although the loss was hard, assistant captain Keri Baker said the season overall went well.

“We played strong and we ended up second, so it’s kind of hard to complain about that.” Baker, a defender, is in her final year of eligibility.

“It was a good way [to end my career]. I got a medal four out of my five years. It would have been nice to get the gold, but silver’s second best.” On Sunday, Queen’s took on the powerhouse Laurier Golden Hawks, winners of the last three provincial championships. Laurier scored in the first two minutes of play. The Hawks added two more goals for a 3-0 lead at the first intermission.

Queen’s came out hard in the second period, with Kaufmann tallying her third goal of the weekend to reduce the deficit to two goals. But the Hawks soon restored their three-goal lead. Laurier sealed the victory with a late shorthanded goal from team captain Larissa Kentworthy. “Our team felt comfortable
playing against Laurier,” Parsons said. “We were prepared but we just didn’t start off the way we had in other games against them.”

In Saturday’s game, Queen’s took the lead within the first six minutes on a goal from Victoria Kaufman. The assists went to Chantelle Johnson and Liz Kench, who was recently named the Ontario Rookie of the Year. In the second period, the Gaels added to their lead when Kaufman recorded her second goal of the game. With five minutes left in the game, Toronto reduced the lead to one. But the Queen’s defence, led by rookie goaltender Katie Boyd, was able to hold the Blues off until the end.
Boyd made 33 saves for the win. The Gaels were outshot 34-20, but Parsons said he didn’t worry about
the stats. “A lot of their shots came whilethey were 5-on-3 ahead, so [we weren’t] too concerned at all.”

“It certainly was a great achievement that probably is overlooked because of our loss on Sunday,” Parsons said. “We’re trying to leave the weekend with that win versus the loss to Laurier.” Parsons said the team’s strong run bodes well for the coming years.

“You have to think it’s pretty positive. We were the youngest team in the league, and it really speaks well to the future of this team.”