Queen’s rowing defeats McGill

On April 29, varsity rowing squads from Queen’s and McGill took to the Great Cataraqui River and Inner Harbour for the 11th annual Challenge Boat Race. The race, modeled on such historic dual races between rowing rivals as the annual Boat Race between Oxford and Cambridge and the Harvard–Yale Regatta, featured both five-kilometer races and 500-metre sprints.

The Gaels’ varsity men’s four, novice men’s four and varsity women’s eight all won at both distances, while McGill’s novice women’s eight also won both of their races. The victory by the Queen’s varsity women’s team leaves them with seven wins and four losses against McGill, while the varsity men’s victory meant that they improved their full-race record to five wins and six losses against the Redmen.

Two points were awarded for victory in each full race, with one point awarded for victory in each sprint. The Gaels amassed nine points to the three earned by the Redmen, and the day ended with Queen’s taking home the Lorne Gales Trophy as overall champions for the third consecutive year.