Student adds personal touch

Artist in Profile

Name: Jamie MacDonald, ArtSci ’07
Medium: paint (usually oil)
Currently showing: At the Fire Hall Theatre in Gananoque until June 30. The show is titled “An Eclectic Collection” and is Macdonald’s first show.

How did you develop an interest in art?
I took art in high school. There’s a focus program here in town at a couple of the high schools called Creative Arts and I took that program. Also, my aunt Pam Ludlem is an artist here in [Kingston] and she gave me some training when I was young which developed my interest.

What’s your favourite subject matter?
Usually people. I like to paint people that I know. I find it appealing. I’m not interested—well I take some commissioned work, but I mostly enjoy painting people that I know. There’s a connection there that I can bring to the painting that makes it fairly good. I do some stuff like graphic design, but portraiture is my favourite subject matter.

Who is an artist who inspires you?
A couple right off the top of my head would be John Singer Sargent and also Klimt, Gustav Klimt. They take traditional subject matter, they both do powerful portaits of important people, but they make them very personal. They make them their own and [their paintings] have a lot of life in them.

—Meghan Sheffield

----------------

‘Artist in Profile’ is a new series featuring artists in different media from the University and the community. If you’re interested in having your work featured, email journal_ae@ams.queensu.ca.