Let’s do lunch (or breakfast, or dinner)

If you can’t stomach another caf meal or don’t feel up to making your own, Kingston restaurants provide a refreshing alternative. Kingston has a higher concentration of residents—more than 200 per capita—than anywhere else in North America. The following is a summary of some of the restaurants you can explore.

Eating out in Kingston

Price range:
  • $ - under $10
  • $$ - $11 to $20
  • $$$ - $20 to $30

Copper Penny
240 Princess St
613-549-4257
$$
A longtime student favourite, the Copper Penny has a large variety of salads, wraps and sandwiches. Reasonably priced with many vegetarian options, the Copper Penny has an atmosphere that suits student outings and family gatherings.

Curry Original
253A Ontario St.
613-531-9376
$
Whether you have a craving for some spicy lamb vindaloo, lentil dhaal or butter chicken, you can find it here. Each guest can order his or her own dish, or order several and share. Their na’an bread is the perfect compliment to sop up any leftover curry.

The Grizzly Grill
395 Princess St.
613-544-7566
$$
Right in the heart of the hub, the Grizzly Grill has special meal deals every night of the week. Prime rib night on Sundays is a student favourite. Lunchtime is also a great time for a hearty meal, with large plates for about $10.

Grecos Grill & Wine Bar
167 Princess St.
613-542-2229
$$$
Serving what seems like every conceivable Greek delicacy along with a variety of seafood dishes, Grecos has an atmosphere conducive to a dinner for two or a group outing. Popular dishes among students include the souvlaki dinner, the chicken breast entrée, and the moussaka plate.

Gusto Italian Restaurant and Lounge
424 Princess St.
613-536-1616
$$
At the corner of Division and Princess Streets, Gusto provides appetizers, salads, and many different pasta and meat entrées. On Monday nights students can order a salad and an entrée for only $9. The lounge is a great place to hear jazz music on Tuesday nights.

Mekong
394 Princess Street
613-549-5902
$
With a large variety of rice and vegetarian dishes, Mekong’s Vietnamese cuisine is an affordable option for restaurant-goers feeling particularly cultured.

The Sleepless Goat Café
91 Princess St.
613-545-9646
$
The Sleepless Goat offers socially conscious students a place to eat delicious, affordable food without worrying about its origins. As a co-op, the Goat is run by its employees, who each have one vote when it comes to corporate decision-making. The breakfast menu is most popular among students and there are plenty of vegan options on the menu.

Stooley’s Café
118 Division Street
613-547-4044
$$
Stooley’s caters to students in a way that’s kind to their budgets. Tuesday nights is fajita night, Wednesday is $6.99 burger night, and Thursday’s new bargain is a pitcher of beer and a pizza. Best of all, you don’t have to walk far since the restaurant is located right in the heart of the Ghetto.

Woodenheads

192 Ontario Street
613-549-1812
$$$
Although it’s a little pricier than the average student meal, the occasional special visit won’t burn a hole in your pocket. With the city’s best gourmet pizza, a patio for the summer time, a fabulous atmosphere and its location right near the water, Woodenheads has it all.

Mike Woods