Queen’s to apply for four separate liquor licences

Licences mean campus pubs responsible for themselves

Beginning late this fall, campus pubs likely won’t have to worry about being shut down because of the indiscretions of other establishments. Bruce Griffiths, director of residence and hospitality services, in conjunction with the University administration, has decided to apply for four separate liquor licences.

Currently, Queen’s holds one liquor license, allowing all three campus pubs and The Grad Club to operate under it. The University has entered into an agreement with each establishment, requiring they adhere to Queen’s policy, to the stipulations of the licence and to the law.

The University hopes to hold one licence to cover the Queen’s Pub and Alfie’s, one to cover Clark Hall Pub, one to cover the Grad Club and one to cover all catered events.

Because the Alcohol and Gaming Commission doesn’t distinguish between the licence users and deal only with the licence holder, all violations are recorded as strikes against the holder no matter where they happen. This means the suspensions caused by one pub adversely affect all of them when it’s time to renew the licence by putting a black mark on the University’s record.

Griffiths said discussions began about 18 months ago, prompted in part by an incident in the spring of 2003 in which the Queen’s Pub caused the University’s license to be suspended for 12 days.

If the University is successful in its applications, terms of use for all four licenses will remain the same.

Griffiths said if a liquor licence inspector sees a violation of the licence, he or she can recommend to the liquor licence board that the licence be suspended or revoked.

If Griffiths sees something happening in violation of the licence, he can suspend the specific bar’s permission to use it.