Student Constables to supervise Grease Pole

Clark’s closure doesn’t affect Engineering Frosh Week, EngSoc president says

Charlie Scott, EngSoc president, says frosh will see no changes to events during Frosh Week without SciCon involvement.

Engineering Society President Charlie Scott, Clark Hall Pub’s closure and the resulting dismissal of the Science Constables has had no effect on the faculty’s Frosh Week events.

Traditionally supervised by pub staff, all activities, including tomorrow’s famed Grease Pole climb, will be monitored by AMS Student Constables.

“The pub closing was not a huge, crushing blow to Frosh Week,” Scott said. “When the closure happened we went to the AMS and the StuCons for help and it was not a problem.”

Dean of Applied Science Kimberly Woodhouse said she was sceptical earlier this summer about how SciCons would be replaced after Clark Hall Pub’s closure, but she’s impressed with the way EngSoc handled the issue.

“They did a fabulous job and the StuCons stepped up to the plate,” she said. “Everything has been taken care of, all the protocols have been met by the administration, the AMS, EngSoc, [Campus] Security, and Engineering Frosh Week will run the same as it always has.”

John Manning, AMS vice-president (operations), said providing the StuCon services seemed like a logical move.

“They handle every other faculty’s events during orientation,” Manning said. “It was a pretty easy decision.”

Head StuCon Dan Whalen said he has been in constant dialogue with Mike Evans, the EngSoc Orientation Chair, to better understand the unique Engineering Frosh Orientation. “Mike came and spoke to the StuCons for over an hour, giving us a rundown of the specific engineering events,” Whalen said. “That’s unique for us because other faculties just send me their schedules and if I have questions I need to ask.”

Whalen said he and Evans made sure the StuCons are aware of the differences between Engineering Frosh Week and the other faculties’ frosh events.

“I was provided site maps and manuals for specific events, so there are a great number of resources specific to how engineering Frosh Week is run that the StuCons now have.”

Eight StuCons were assigned for Wednesday’s events, 26 StuCons for Thursday’s events, five for Friday’s events and 32 will be assigned to Frosh Week’s most famous event, the Grease Pole. In past years, 25 to 30 SciCons were assigned to the event.

Whalen said he assigned the most StuCons for the Grease Pole event because of the obvious safety issues. Whalen’s StuCons will patrol the areas designated for the upper-year students watching the event, as well as the area around the Grease Pole pit fence and fence entrance to ensure that upper-year and first-year students are separate. Whalen said StuCons won’t enter the pit at all. In the past, SciCons have been stationed in the water, but Whalen said he preferred to leave EngSoc responsible for ensuring the safety of the students in the pit.

Evans was appointed to form and train what EngSoc calls the “Water Team” in order to ensure the safety of the frosh in the pit.

The Water Team is comprised of 12 engineering students who have all been involved in Engineering Orientation for several years. Evans said half the Water Team members are former SciCons and the other half have been involved with FREC Committee. All members were trained in what to expect from the event.

“This year, part of the reason we formed this Water Team is because StuCons didn’t want to work in the pit,” Evans said. “The Water Team is needed to supervise the climbing and construction of the pyramid and to make sure that each layer of students is safe enough for other students to climb up on.”