Women’s soccer wins at RMC

Gaels concede only one goal in five games played

The women’s soccer team travelled across town to the Royal Military College on Wednesday and beat the Paladins 2-0 off first-half goals from Laura Johnstone and Kaley Robinson.

Head coach Dave McDowell said he’s happy with the victory, but the early goals may have lulled the team into a false sense of security.

“It was a very comfortable win—a bit too comfortable on our half. We got a little complacent in the second half,” he said. “We tended to self-destruct in some areas of the field.

McDowell said he was pleased with the team’s control of midfield, but they should have created more chances with it.

“I thought there were times in the first half in particular where we did very well in terms of possession. Not enough penetration, though. It was all played in front of their defence, and I think some of our players need to be a little more selfish and get behind their players as opposed to always looking to pass, but that will come.”

Robinson said the Gaels did a better job of retaining possession of the ball than during the

weekend games.

“I think possession, definitely, we improved on. We played Ottawa on Sunday on a very crisp field, and we definitely kept rushing things, so we did a good job of [settling down today].” Johnstone said the game was a step up from last weekend’s draw against Carleton and loss

to Ottawa.

“It’s definitely an improvement. We swung around some passes together, and each game we’re improving, so that’s good to see.”

Johnstone’s goal, which came in the 25th minute, was the first the Gaels had scored since the second half of the season opener against Ryerson on September 1. It broke their slump of 313 goalless minutes of play. Johnstone said she was excited to break that streak.

“It’s always a good feeling,” she said.

Goalkeeper Katie McKenna recorded the shutout for the Gaels, her third straight clean sheet of the season. McKenna said she was pleased with the win, but there was still much to do.

“It was nice to come out with the three points,” she said. “We have a lot to improve on, and our youth showed at times. Credit to RMC, they hustled it out, they battled it out, and I think they stepped it up in the second half.”

McKenna said playing at a high level for the entire match is still a problem for the Gaels.

“I think we kind of play a good first 20 minutes. After that, it occasionally goes downhill, so we have to kind of keep our momentum going for the full 90 minutes.”

The Gaels continue playing on the road this weekend, with a trip to North Bay and Sudbury where they will take on the Nipissing Lakers and the Laurentian Voyageurs. McDowell said the team will battle fatigue, as these will be the fourth and fifth games for them in the last seven days. He added that they’ll need to pull out some victories despite the hostile crowds.

“It will be a tough environment where they’ll have a lot of home support, but they’re important games for our team to win.”