Chris Beneteau: valuing the family

Introducing the candidates for Kingston and the Islands

Beneteau says family is the building block of society.

Family Coalition Party candidate Chris Beneteau said the three most important parts of his platform are life, freedom and family as the building blocks of society.

Beneteau said although Family Coalition is a small party, it’s close to reaching its goal of having a candidate in every riding.

“Resources are fairly limited and if you’re not an established party, without the money and without the huge manpower, it’s difficult to get a candidate,” he said, adding that he volunteered to run in Kingston and the Islands when no one else offered.

Beneteau ran for the party in the 1999 campaign as well as in 2003.

“I knew there were people in the area who wanted to vote for someone as opposed to avoiding the other parties,” said Beneteau, who describes himself as a “political junkie.”

He said the election is really all about the preservation of the traditional family.

Beneteau works for Hastings Children’s Mental Health Services in Belleville and has worked in the field of children’s mental health for about 15 years.

The government’s primary role should be to develop policies to strengthen the traditional family, said Beneteau, who has seven kids with his wife of 14 years.

Because his party is so small, he said his first priority if elected would be to look for other individuals within the parties who have similar ideas to his own.

“The big problem with politicians is they get swept up into the political culture. ... I want to conduct myself with honour, with dignity and respect.”

Beneteau said the cliché is to say the government needs to concentrate on health care and education.

“We could fund health care and education until we’re blue in the face, but are we getting the best bang for our buck?” he said.

“I think there’s 20,000 Kingstonians who don’t have a family doctor. We have to ask ourselves, ‘What are we going do to entice physicians to come to Kingston?’”

Physicians are going to go where their skills will be valued the most, he said, so Kingston should be doing something to encourage them to come to the city, like offering them free rent on their clinics or providing them with free housing.

“We don’t want to do those things because it costs money, but at the same time, we forget that in the long run, it’ll probably save money,” he said.

Beneteau said Canada is facing a demographic crisis.

“We’re filling more coffins than cradles,” he said, adding that it will have a devastating impact socially and economically.

“Someone’s got to provide for and take care of the aging population. … We’re committing mass suicide. Why is it that we just don’t seem to value children as much as we have in the past?”