AMS puts code, review to plebiscite

Questions address “rat” clause, cutting varsity sports

The AMS executive hopes to gauge student opinion on several clauses in the draft code of conduct with two plebiscite questions on next week’s referendum ballot.

“It’s going to be able to gauge student opinion but it will also get them to ask questions,” said AMS Vice-President (University Affairs) Julia Mitchell.

The first question asks whether students agree with what Mitchell said has come to be known as the “rat” clause, requiring students to report violations of the code to the Judicial Committee. The second asks whether or not students agree with having certain non-academic transgressions noted on their academic transcripts.

“These were the clauses we received a lot of student concerns about both at the forum and in our own consultations,” she said. “We’ve been hearing so much about it from students we wanted to see what the student body as a whole, what they thought about it.”

Clause 9 of the draft states students should report any misconduct or leave the scene as soon as possible.

Mitchell said it’s unrealistic to expect students to follow this clause.

“If you go to a party and see someone underage drinking, you’re not going to leave,” she said “It’s like you have to be responsible for other people’s actions.”

Sanction 5 of the draft says JComm can note violations to the code on a student’s transcript.

Mitchell said she’s worried about the clause’s vagueness, and believes a notation should be made on a student’s transcript only in cases of extreme misconduct.

“If you do something egregious enough that you were removed or expelled, that should go on your transcript.”

Mitchell said the results of the question will be used to determine the AMS’ stance with senate.

“It gives us a little bit more credibility in that we’ve gone out and collected the facts.”

She said the referendum’s timing is good, giving students more than a week to think about the questions before Senate’s open meeting Nov. 15.

Students who want to speak at the meeting should call the University Secretariat Georgina Moore before Nov. 15 to have their names added to the speakers list.

Referendum questions

• Do you agree to the continuation of the Global Citizens at Queen’s fee of $0.75 (subject to individual opt-out) for the next three years? This fee was originally established in 2004 and last went to referendum in 2004.

• Do you agree to the continuation of the Queen’s Bands fee of $3.50 (mandatory) for the next three years? This fee was originally established in 1986 and last went to referendum in 2004.

• Do you agree to the continuation of the Camp Outlook fee of $0.85 (subject to individual opt-out) for the next three years? This fee was originally established in 2001 and last went to referendum in 2004.

• Do you agree to the continuation of the OUSA (Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance) fee of $2.09 (mandatory ) for the next three years? This fee was originally established in 2004 and last went to referendum in 2004.

• Do you agree to the continuation of the United Way fee of $2.00 (subject to individual opt-out) for the next three years? This fee was originally established in 1991 and last went to referendum in 2005.

• Do you agree to an increase to the CFRC 101.9 FM (Queen’s student-run radio) fee (mandatory) from $3.75 to $6.50, an increase of $2.75?

• Do you agree to an increase in the Golden Words fee (mandatory) from $1.50 to $2.00, an increase
of $0.50?

• Do you agree to an increase in the Queen’s Debating Union fee (subject to individual opt-out) from $0.95 to $1.40, an increase of $0.45?

• Do you agree to an increase to the Queen’s TV fee (subject to individual opt-out) from $2.16 to $3.00, an increase of $0.84?

Non-binding plebiscite questions:

• Do you support the proposal, contained in the Draft Student Code of Conduct, to allow notations to be placed on a student’s academic transcript for non-academic violations of the Code?

• Do you support the proposal, contained in the Draft Student Code of Conduct, that students receive a disciplinary sanction for neglecting to “report misconduct to the appropriate authority or remove themselves from situations where misconduct is occurring”?

• Do you support the recommendation in the 2007 Athletics and Recreation Review to reduce the number of varsity teams in order to consolidate funding and increase funding to a smaller number of teams?

• Do you support a non-Sodexho-run crêperie (a food service specializing in crêpes) on Queen’s campus, as part of an environmentally friendly and health-oriented concept based on purely organic and natural products?

Where to vote

The AMS Fall Referendum takes place Tuesday, Nov. 6 and Wednesday, Nov. 7. Bring your student card to one of these polling stations to vote.

Ban-Righ Cafeteria—11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Biosciences Atrium—9 a.m. to
4 p.m.

Botterell Hall—9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Dunning Hall—12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Dupuis Hall—12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Ellis Hall—12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Etherington Hall—12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Goodes Hall—12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Integrated Learning Centre—
12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

JDUC (Lower Ceilidh)—9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

JDUC (Upper Ceilidh)—9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Jean-Royce Hall Cafeteria—11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Kingston Hall—12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Leonard Hall Cafeteria—11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

MacArthur Hall—12 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Mackintosh-Corry Hall—9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The PEC—12 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Stauffer Library—9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Stirling Hall—12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Victoria Hall—11 a.m. to 8 p.m.