Lacrosse wins silver

Third straight second-place finish for Gaels

The Gaels’ lacrosse team finished their season on a high note last weekend, winning two of three games to win the OUA silver medal for the third straight year.

The women hammered Guelph 14-2 in their quarter-final game and eked out a victory over the University of Toronto 7-6 in the semifinal.

The team then faced the four-time defending champion Laurier Golden Hawks in the gold medal game on Sunday afternoon, falling 9-6 despite a hat-trick from Martha Ross.

Head coach Robyn Ross said she was pleased that the Gaels made it tough for Laurier to win.

“[The team] came from being down in games and completely stayed with it the entire hour and played their hearts out,” she said. “The fact that we stayed 9-6 was a win in my books.”

Coach Ross said the semifinal win over second-seeded U of T was especially sweet.

“That was a huge win for us because we wanted so badly to get revenge after a tough loss in the regular season,” she said.

On top of winning the silver medal, the women received a number of individual awards over the weekend. Co-captain Ruth McArthur was named the OUA’s Most Sportsmanlike Player, and rookie Lisa McLaughlin was named to the first all-star team. McArthur, Martha Ross and Laura Snyder were named second-team all-stars.

McLaughlin, who scored eight goals in the weekend’s three games, said the awards reflect how successful the team’s season was.

“I was honoured by it,” she said. “It just looks really good for the whole program in general. … It just shows the overall depth of our team.”

McLaughlin said she was pleased with the way the season ended.

“We would’ve liked to win the [gold medal] game but we definitely gave them a good run,” she said. “It’s the most competitive game Laurier’s had all year.”

Co-captain Jodey Therriault said the team came together despite only having a six-game season.

“I think that we played very strong and came together as a team. … Those are things that take time to develop,” she said. “I think we played very well and took Toronto

by surprise.”

The team will lose four seniors next season, but Therriault said she’s looking forward to it already.

“We have a main core of girls staying so we’ll all really know each other and be able to play with each other. That’s a fundamental aspect of team sports,” she said. “We’ll start stronger next year right from the beginning.”

Coach Ross wasn’t sure whether she would be back because she maintains a residence in Boston, but said the team has a bright future.

“The younger players will step up and fill the shoes of the players who are leaving.”

Ross said although she’s proud of the individual award-winners, she’s pleased with the team as a whole.

“I’m really proud of everybody,” she said.

“That was a great way to go out this season.”