Hawks prey on Gaels

Women’s hockey loses 7-2 to Golden Hawks, beats Waterloo Warriors 4-1

The women’s hockey team split their weekend in Waterloo, losing 7-2 against former OUA champions Laurier Golden Hawks on Saturday and winning 4-1 against the Waterloo Warriors on Sunday.

On Saturday the Gaels were down 3-0 going into the second period, but smart play on the power play generated goals scored by Kelsey Thompson and Becky Conroy to bring the Gaels to within one. They started the third period on a five-on-three power play, but strong penalty killing by the Hawks allowed them to kill it and go on to score four more goals.

Queen’s goaltender Katie Boyd allowed seven goals on 36 shots.

Head coach Rob Lalonde said Boyd played extremely well.

“She was amazing despite the score,” he said.

Lalonde said the Gaels were playing a decent game before the third period.

“We battled back in the second with two power-play goals. We had momentum going into the third and an opportunity to go ahead, but we came out flat,” he said.

On Sunday, the Gaels turned it around and came out flying. Liz Kench had two goals and one assist in the game.

The other goals came from Chantelle Johnson and Amanda Morra. Alison Bagg, sister of football receiver Rob Bagg, got two assists.

Queen’s goalie Melissa John made 35 saves.

Lalonde said John came up big for them in key situations.

“She was unbelievable and made a number of key saves,” he said

Boyd said she was happy that they were able to pull together as a team.

“We talked and met with the coaches after Saturday’s game and managed to pull together against Waterloo on Sunday,” she said.

Boyd also said the team are working on driving to the net to get rebounds.

“We’re working on being able to be aggressive in the offensive zone, but also getting back to take care of the defensive zone as well.”

The team plays in Napanee on Friday against the University of Ontario Institute of Technology, a new team that has only won one game this season.