McGill batters men's hockey

Pair of losses end Gaels' playoff run

The best season in 25 years wasn’t enough to carry the men’s hockey team through the second round of Ontario University Athletics playoffs.

After a 6-1 thumping at the hands of the McGill Redmen Wednesday night in Napanee, the Golden Gaels refocused and went to Montreal’s McConnell Arena Friday for game two of the best-of-three series. The men allowed fewer McGill goals but still fell 2-0, ending the Gaels' 13-win season--the most since 1983, when men's hockey won 15 games.

Rookie forward Jon Lawrance opened scoring in Wednesday’s game with a second-period goal, but the team couldn’t sustain the drive.

“We got some momentum going and got a little excited,” he said. “We kind of lost our composure.”

Lawrance said the Gaels tailored their game plan to undermine McGill’s strengths but couldn’t keep it up for the full 60 minutes.

“They’re a very quick team so we tried playing very passively and [tried to] slow the game down.”

He said the team had to regroup before Friday.

“We kind of realized we tried doing things one way and it didn’t work out and if we wanted to keep our season going we had to do it differently.”

The team did show a strong turnaround in game two, allowing only two goals, but the Gaels never converted on scoring chances.

Lawrence said the Gaels were undone by McGill’s first-period goal.

“We gave them too many opportunities.”

Lawrance said the goals against could be chalked up to mental errors, but he was satisfied with the series’s result nonetheless.

“In the big picture we proved we could play with them,” he said. “Any time you can make it to the second round in a league as competitive as we are, we’re pretty happy about that.”