Students asked to contribute $1.2M to Goodes Hall expansion

New fee for commerce students will go to referendum vote March 26 and 27

The Goodes Hall expansion project, whose design’s pictured above, is projected to cost $40,000
Supplied

Goodes Hall is getting a facelift, and the Commerce Society wants its students to help cover the tab.

To assist in the undertaking, ComSoc has proposed a mandatory student fee to be paid by its students over the next 10 years. The referendum will be held online from March 26 and 27.

The Commerce student fee would begin as $69 per student for the 2008-09 school year, increasing to $79 for the 2009-10 school year and $89 for the 2010-11 year. This initiative would bring in a $1.2-million contribution to the expansion building fund.

Director of Finance and Administration of the School of Business and chair of the Goodes Hall expansion committee Steve Millon said the estimated $40-million project can’t start until there’s a substantial amount of funding raised. The projected fundraising target is set at $22 million.

The proposed 75,000 square foot expansion will include a multipurpose open-concept common space, larger classes and more office space to accommodate to proposed increased student enrolment and faculty size.

The new addition will accommodate approximately 450 more students in the School of Business over a 10 year period by adding five new classrooms and providing necessary office space for faculty.

Director of the Bachelor of Commerce program Shannon Goodspeed said this increase in enrolment is necessary for the School of Business to remain competitive.

“The biggest criticism of a business school is that it is too small ... the quality of the program is not going down but by having more alumni you have more people to draw upon, and the reputation grows by getting bigger yet maintaining quality,” she said. “We are trying to get away from that small school image.”

The largest new classroom will hold 80 students.

The project will also include larger ComSoc, IT Services, dining, washroom and computer lab facilities.

The plans also include an underground parking lot underneath the new addition with an underground tunnel connecting to the new Tindall Field Parking lot. “I think what’s important is that students educate themselves about the benefits of the new expanded building,” said ComSoc President Dave Waugh. “The value to students that will come with the new building will exceed monetary terms.”

ComSoc Vice-President (External) Eddie Ho said he thinks commerce students should look at this fee as a way for them to show their gratitude for Goodes Hall.

“We are in this building so much and we never get a chance to really appreciate this building,” he said. “None of our tuition went into the construction of Goodes Hall when it was first built.”

Ho emphasized the fee’s importance in engaging alumni support, most importantly through financial donations.

“It shows alumni that we really do care about this building, we really do care about this initiative.”