Sports in Brief

Queen’s Breanne Sherwood is tackled in Sunday’s rainy exhibition match against the Carleton Ravens as teammate Catherine Foster looks on. The Gaels beat the Ravens 32-8.
Queen’s striker Renee MacLellan (14) takes out Marie-Michelle Sullivan of the Trent Excalibur with a sliding tackle Saturday.

Baseball swept by Lords

The men’s baseball team lost all four of their opening weekend games to the powerhouse Durham College Lords, last year’s Ontario champions in the Canadian Intercollegiate Baseball Association.

Durham blanked Queen’s 11-0 in the opener Saturday at 1 p.m. The Gaels got on the scoreboard in the second game of the day, but fell 19-4. Sunday’s games were closer contests, but Durham still triumphed 8-3 and 15-5.

Graham Fulton played a key offensive role for the Gaels, collecting five hits in 12 at-bats for a .417 batting average. He also scored twice and picked up five runs batted in. Stephen Nagy got three hits and three walks in 12 plate appearances and Chris Stewart collected four hits in eleven at-bats.

The Gaels travel to Toronto this weekend. They’ll play a double-header against the York Lions Saturday and then another double-header against Durham on Sunday.

—Andrew Bucholtz

Women’s rugby bests Carleton

Scrum half Clare Miller, who competed last year on the U20 Canadian rugby team, led the Gaels to a 32-8 victory against Carleton on Sunday at Kingston Field.

Queen’s Rachelle Kranenburg scored two tries and first-year center Andrea Wadsworth contributed another.

The Gaels will look to improve on last year’s 3-2 record as they travel to Peterborough on Wednesday to take on the Trent Excalibur.

—Amrit Ahluwalia

Women’s field hockey comes off tough tournament

Queen’s women’s field hockey travelled to Toronto to play in an exhibition tournament on Saturday and finished with a tie and

three losses.

The Gaels lost their opening match against the Waterloo Warriors 1-0, but then earned a scoreless tie with the York Lions. In the afternoon, Queen’s fell 1-0 to the University of Toronto Varsity Blues and lost 4-0 against the Guelph Gryphons.

The women lost starting goaltender Emily Newton after she took a shot to the throat against the Varsity Blues. She is expected to return in two to three weeks.

The Gaels start their regular season Tuesday at McGill.

—Amrit Ahluwalia