Adidas Workplace Standards

• News

Source: http://www.adidas-group.com/en/sustainability/Overview/our_standard/stan…

Workplace Standards

Performance. Passion. Integrity. Diversity.

These are the core values found in sport. Sport is the soul of the adidas Group. We measure ourselves by these values, and we measure our business partners in the same way.

Consistent with these values, we expect our partners – contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and others – to conduct themselves with the utmost fairness, honesty and responsibility in all aspects of their business.

We use the adidas Group Workplace Standards as a tool to assist us in selecting and retaining business partners who follow business practices consistent with our policies and values. As a set of guiding principles, the Workplace Standards also help identify potential problems so that we can work with our business partners to address issues of concern as they arise. Business partners will develop and implement action plans for continuous improvement in factory working conditions. Progress against these plans will be monitored by the business partners themselves, our internal monitoring team and external independent monitors.

Specifically, we expect our business partners to operate work places where the following standards and practices are implemented:

General Principle

Business partners must comply fully with all legal requirements relevant to the conduct of their businesses.

Employment Standards

Forced Labour

Business partners must not use forced labour, whether in the form of prison labour, indentured labour, bonded labour or otherwise. No employee may be compelled to work through force or intimidation of any form, or as a means of political coercion or as punishment for holding or expressing political views.

Child Labour

Business partners must not employ children who are less than 15 years old, or less than the age for completing compulsory education in the country of manufacture where such age is higher than 15.

Discrimination

Business partners must not discriminate in recruitment and employment practices. Decisions about hiring, salary, benefits, training opportunities, work assignments, advancement, discipline and termination must be based solely on ability to perform the job, rather than on the basis of personal characteristics or beliefs, such as race, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, marital status, parental status, association membership, sexual orientation or political opinion. Additionally, business partners must implement effective measures to protect migrant employees against any form of discrimination and to provide appropriate support services that reflect their special status.

Wages & Benefits

Wages must equal or exceed the minimum wage required by law or the prevailing industry wage, whichever is higher, and legally mandated benefits must be provided. In addition to compensation for regular working hours, employees must be compensated for overtime hours at the rate legally required in the country of manufacture or, in those countries where such laws do not exist, at a rate exceeding the regular hourly compensation rate.

Wages are essential for meeting the basic needs of employees and reasonable savings and expenditure. We seek business partners who progressively raise employee living standards through improved wage systems, benefits, welfare programmes and other services, which enhance quality of life.

Working Hours

Employees must not be required, except in extraordinary circumstances, to work more than 60 hours per week including overtime or the local legal requirement, whichever is less. Employees must be allowed at least 24 consecutive hours rest within every seven-day period, and must receive paid annual leave.

Freedom of Association & Collective Bargaining

Business partners must recognise and respect the right of employees to join and organise associations of their own choosing and to bargain collectively. Business partners must develop and fully implement mechanisms for resolving industrial disputes, including employee grievances, and ensure effective communication with employees and their representatives.

Disciplinary Practices

Employees must be treated with respect and dignity. No employee may be subjected to any physical, sexual, psychological or verbal harassment or abuse, or to fines or penalties as a disciplinary measure.

Business partners must publicise and enforce a non-retaliation policy that permits factory employees to express their concerns about workplace conditions directly to factory management or to us without fear of retribution or losing their jobs.

Health & Safety

A safe and hygienic working environment must be provided, and occupational health and safety practices which prevent accidents and injury must be promoted. This includes protection from fire, accidents and toxic substances. Lighting, heating and ventilation systems must be adequate. Employees must have access at all times to sanitary facilities which should be adequate and clean. Business partners must have health and safety policies which are clearly communicated to employees. Where residential facilities are provided to employees, the same standards apply.

Environmental Requirements

Business partners must make progressive improvement in environmental performance in their own operations and require the same of their partners, suppliers and subcontractors. This includes: integrating principles of sustainability into business decisions; responsible use of natural resources; adoption of cleaner production and pollution prevention measures; and designing and developing products, materials and technologies according to the principles of sustainability.