Province launches textbook grant

$150 per-student grant to compliment upfront textbook and technology costs, minister of training, colleges and universities says

As of Wednesday, students will get a little help lightening their textbook load.

On Sept. 10, the ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities announced the official launch of the provincial government’s new textbook and technology grant for Ontario’s 500,000 full-time students at eligible universities.

John Milloy, Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities, said the grant was introduced to alleviate some of the costs university students incur when buying textbooks.

“We recognize that all students have a challenge at the beginning of the year with added academic expense related to textbooks and technology and other academic supplies,” he said. “Today was the formal launch, and we’ve introduced a grant for every full-time student in Ontario at public colleges and universities.”

To be eligible for the grant, students must attend a provincially assisted Ontario university or college of applied arts and technology. All applicants must be full-time students and carry a minimum of 60 per cent of a full course load, or 40 per cent for a student with a permanent disability, and must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a protected person.

Milloy said students who’ve already applied for the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) and have met the conditions will be automatically registered for the grant and receive a cheque in the mail.

“Any student who hasn’t applied can go online to the OSAP application site and fill out a short form and they’ll be eligible,” he said.

Milloy said the $150 is the initial amount of the grant, which will increase to $300 by 2010.

“There’s always a limit to the amount of resources. We felt $150 was a complimentary amount for some of these upfront costs people have,” he said. “It is available to all students regardless of their financial circumstances.”

Textbook and technology grant

How to Apply

• If you’ve submitted an OSAP application for 2008-09, you’re automatically considered for this grant. There’s nothing else you have to do to apply.
• If you’re not an OSAP recipient, apply for this grant using the new textbook and technology grant online application. Go to osap.gov.on.ca and log into the textbook and technology grant online application.

Application Deadlines

• One term programs (12 to 20 weeks in duration): Your application must be submitted within the first 30 days of your study period.
• Two and three-term programs (21 to 52 weeks in duration): Your application must be submitted by 90 days before the end of your study period.

Receiving Your Money

• The Ministry will request information from your post-secondary institution to confirm you’re enrolled full-time and in an approved program. Your cheque cannot be issued until this confirmation is received from your
post-secondary institution.
• Once your eligibility is confirmed, your textbook and technology grant cheque will be mailed to you at the mailing address you provide in
your application.

—Jane Switzer

Source: https://osap.gov.ov.ca/