Online survey seeks student perspective

Student Relations Committee wants input on student use of city services

The Student Relations Committee’s online survey runs online from Sept. 1 to Sept. 19 and seeks student input on city-run services such as recycling.

The city of Kingston is reaching out to students through a new online survey designed to promote the student use of city-run services.

Tim Laprade, Public Educational co-ordinator for the City of Kingston, said the idea for the new survey came from the Queen’s Student Relations Committee. The committee is comprised of city officials, University administrators and Queen’s students, including representatives from the AMS, the Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Society and the Society of Graduate and Professional Students.

“This group felt that the best thing to do was find from students what’s the best way for students to access information about city services,” he said.

The online survey launched on Sept. 1 and will remain open until Sept. 19.

“We’re hoping that this will open the lines of communication a bit better,” Laprade said.

“We haven’t done anything like this in the past where we’ve actively engaged the students. … We’ve usually done traditional methods, such as press releases, radio and some print, nothing that was targeted at the students.”

The survey asks students where they live, where they “hang out,” which city services they use and how they would prefer to receive information about city services.

In addition to the survey, the committee plans to stage an on-campus recycling box giveaway in October.

The city currently has more than 100 students signed up for its “My Distribution” e-mail newsletter, which it promoted throughout Orientation week.

“I think the most important thing we can get from this is how students get information. Finding out how they want this information is the most important thing we can get from this survey.” Laprade said.

AMS Municipal Affairs Commisioner Paul Tye is a member of the Queen’s Student Relations Committee. Tye said at nine questions long, he designed the survey to take as little time as possible to complete.

“We tried to keep it as small as possible. … We realize students are busy.”

Tye, ArtSci ’09, said the survey should help the city become more in touch with its student population.

“One of the things the city struggles with is understanding the student demographic. … A broader understanding of what it means to be a student and who that encompasses.”

The survey is not solely for the benefit of Queen’s students, Tye said.

“It helps tailor city services to students, not just students here, but also at St. Lawrence and to some degree at RMC as well.”

Tye said he hopes students take advantage of the survey to voice any concerns they might have regarding accessibility of city-wide services.

“Because this group is so new, one of the things they wanted to do right off the bat is establish communication. … We want to get a lot of good buzz about the survey.”

The survey is currently available on the City of Kington official website. Tye said it would be posted on the AMS website this week.

To take the survey, visit cityofkingston.ca/residents/students/opinion.php