AMS puts more green into Aberdeen

Red Hat volunteers to hand out biodegradable GreenShift products to Aberdeen Street partygoers

AMS Municipal Affairs Commissioner Paul Tye says the cups and water bottles handed out by the Red Hat volunteers at Homecoming 2007 produced an excess of plastic waste.

Aberdeen is getting green for Homecoming 2008.

This year, the Red Hat volunteers will be switching to environmentally friendly products to pass out to partygoers on Aberdeen Street the night of Sept. 27.

AMS Municipal Affairs Commissioner Paul Tye said the biodegradable products to be used by the volunteers were purchased from GreenShift, a Toronto-based environmental company that offers a range of green-minded products to provide businesses with environmentally friendly solutions.

It’s the same company that now produces the Common Ground’s coffee cups.

“The products include cups, garbage bags and biodegradable water bottles,” he said. “They are corn-based products.”

Tye said the switch to biodegradable products will cost an estimated $1,500 more than last year’s products which cost between $5,000 and $6,000. The office of the Vice-Principal (Academic) will foot the bill.

Tye said the decision to switch to GreenShift products was a result of the excessive amount of waste incurred from the aftermath of Homecoming 2007.

“The decision was made sometime this summer,” he said. “[Last year] there was way too much plastic waste.”