Documents accounted for, AMS says

Filing and storage of employee T4 forms to be re-evaluated, executive says

AMS President Talia Radcliffe says the incident affects a small number of the total population of students at Queen’s.

The AMS is assuring students that all of their private information has been accounted for.

Three weeks ago, the Journal was anonymously delivered a box containing confidential memos and e-mails, as well as a number of T4 forms of 2007-08 AMS staff.

AMS President Talia Radcliffe said she’s had a few students contact her to ensure their information was accounted for.

“It’s mostly been about the forms. People have asked questions about Scott [Bell], but we’ve assured them that this was a mistake, but it’s the first and last time,” she said. “It’s allowed us to put renewed attention on confidentiality. Unfortunately, something bad had to happen in order to refocus our attention, but generally, there haven’t been too many demands.”

Radcliffe said a mass e-mail apologizing to students wouldn’t be appropriate for this particular issue because she’s only allowed to send out one mass presidential e-mail per month. “It’s an assembly policy, and I’ve already filled my monthly quota,” she said. “We try to reserve e-mails for information that would otherwise be unavailable or for all students.”

Radcliffe said that because the stolen T4 forms were from last year’s AMS staff, it would be difficult to find their current information to contact them.

“Because it was last year’s staff, the only way we would have the information of last years staff would be to ask all the mangers,” she said. “Most of those people have graduated and gone on to do

other things.” The incident affects a small number of the total population of students at Queen’s, Radcliffe said.

“This only affects about 500 [students] out of 14,000. That’s a significant number, but for apology by e-mail, not so much. We had our statement on the website,” she said. “Obviously, it was a surprise to think that people thought we weren’t sorry, but I understand that wasn’t highlighted.”

Yesterday, an apology to students was posted on the AMS website.

AMS Vice-President (Operations) Ken Wang said a collapsed stack of yearbooks is what blocked the storage room door and prevented Bell from being able to access the room.

“The financial storage is actually behind two doors; the first door leads to the yearbook and gown storage room, second to the financial storage,” he said. “The storage room with the yearbooks collapsed because someone was piling the stacks pretty high.”

Wang said he’s recovered all of the documents that were delivered to Golden Words and the Journal.

“I’ve called Golden Words and spoke to one of their editors that we have their documents. Their editor assured me they flattened the image [used in the paper] and blacked out the document and returned their files,” he said. “I’ve also asked [the Journal] to give back all the documents that you had. Everything that was out is back now.”

Wang said a re-evaluation and re-organization of the way confidential documents are stored and transported will begin after Homecoming weekend.

“It’s still in the preliminary stages because Homecoming’s this weekend and our focus is on that at the moment, but it’s things like whether or not we keep the files in Scott’s office,” he said. “The whole process is being examined to see if it’s the most efficient and if the room needs to be cleaned out. We’re definitely going to look into more when we have more time.”