Gaels gutted by Gaiters

Men’s lacrosse drops game due to undiscliplined and disorganized play

Queen’s midfielder Braden Hergott guards the ball from Bishop’s midfielder Jackson Gair Sunday at North Field.

The men’s lacrosse team suffered a hard blow to their season Sunday after receiving a 19-5 shellacking at the hands of the Bishop’s University Gaiters.

The Gaels gave up four very quick goals in the first quarter and never recovered from the impact. While Queen’s co-captain Matt Denis notched three goals and Braden Hergott added two more, the Gaels had a tough time pulling their game together.

Almost every attack was smothered by the strong Gaiters’ defence and those that managed to end in a shot were stopped short by the exceptional play of Bishop’s goaltender Keegan Durovick.

Meanwhile, the Gaels’ defence didn’t seem to have an answer for Bishop’s attacks, and a more organized Gaiters side overran them.

“We played horribly,” head coach Jeff Wills said. “Worst game of the season by far. I don’t know what happened. We forgot how to play the game. We got undisciplined, nothing went right.”

The discipline from both teams was poor, but with the score as it was Queen’s rough play did them no favours. The Gaels spent the vast majority of the game with someone in a penalty, remaining under pressure from the Gaiters for much of the game.

Wills said the Gaels’ poor discipline was due to baiting from the Gaiters’ bench.

“If you’re within earshot of Bishop’s bench, it’s clear they have very little class,” he said. “They got in our heads, but we’ve got to be more disciplined.”

As for improvements for the next game, a rematch in Sherbrooke on Oct. 18, Wills put it down to disorganization.

“In the first three minutes we let four quick goals in. We’ve got to beat them on the draw and stop those quick breaks.”

Gaels’ defender Strat Allen said the poor game performance came down to the opening minutes.

“I think we got off to a bad start,” he said. “From the first quarter on we fell apart and couldn’t bounce back.”

Allen said the poor start played a major role in the disciplinary problems the Gaels faced all game.

“We were down a couple of goals,” he said. “Some of us had our heads, other didn’t. We had a couple of penalties early and it hurt us.”

As for the issues the Gaels need to tackle before heading to Sherbrooke, Allen said the main problem is mental focus.

“We’ve got to forget this game,” he said. “We’re going to be ready, more prepared and we’ll be coming on strong.”