‘I feel that I can bring a new perspective’

EngSoc candidate wants to effect change

Engineering Society presidential candidate Greg Ellis, Sci ’10, said his status as an EngSoc outsider gives him a unique perspective on student government.

“I haven’t been part of the Engineering Society until now and I feel that I have an external view,” he said. “Normally the position of EngSoc president is given to someone who’s been with the Engineering Society since first year. Little details might be overlooked by someone who’s been there for too long.”

Ellis switched majors from engineering physics to mechanical engineering after his second year, and said taking extra courses to make up for the lost time prepared him for the heavy workload he would experience as EngSoc president.

“I wanted something more applicable,” he said. “Things had to get done and they did.”

Ellis praised many of this year’s EngSoc executive’s accomplishments, specifically hiring a general manager and reopening Clark Hall Pub.

“It showed that we have the strength to open up new initiatives or reopen new initiatives.”

Ellis added that he thinks the general manager will provide needed institutional memory to the Engineering Society.

He said he felt organization had been done badly this year, notably the EngSoc official website, which was out of commission for large parts of the year.

“I feel the information isn’t out there. I shouldn’t have gotten to third year knowing as little as I did about the Engineering Society.”

Ellis said he thinks voters should cast their ballots for him because he will bring change to EngSoc.

“I feel that I can bring a new perspective. Things can change and they will change,” he said. “Leadership is about showing others how good they can be.”