KAM has confidence

Brinkworth: ‘By no means did we think this was a done deal’

CESA president-elect Mike Brinkworth
Image by: Justin Tang
CESA president-elect Mike Brinkworth

For the incoming Concurrent Education Students Association (CESA) executive team, the easy part is over.

Team KAM, all ConEd ’10, was the only team running for the society’s leadership for next year.

Team KAM received 88.2 per cent in a vote of confidence.

Gathered with friends and supporters at the Brass Pub Wednesday night, Mike Brinkworth, Katie Shifman and Allison Sullovey reflected on their campaign.

Sullovey, vice-president (internal)-elect, said she and her teammates tried to speak to as many ConEd students as possible during the campaign, adding that they chose not to advertise using posters for environmental reasons.

“I think it went really, really well,” she said.

Sullovey said despite the lack of opposition, she was anxious while waiting for the election’s results.

“You always have to be nervous,” she said, adding that she welcomes feedback from students in ConEd on the direction they’d like to see CESA take over the coming year.

“We want everyone to come out and tell us what they’d like to see so we can do that for ConEd.”

Team KAM received a phone call shortly after 12:30 a.m. confirming their acclamation.

After a round of tequila shots on the house, Brinkworth, president-elect, said winning was a dream come true for him and his teammates.

“It’s been a long time coming. … By no means did we think this was a done deal.”

He said he wants to represent every student in ConEd.

“If we don’t have your confidence now, we will work throughout the year to gain your confidence,” he said. “We are confident in who we are as a team.”

Shifman, vice-president (external)-elect, said she was grateful to everyone who voted.

“We’re really excited to start as a team together.”