Déjà vu for women’s basketball

Gaels lose to Carleton in round 1 for the second consecutive year

The women’s basketball team experienced déjà vu Wednesday as they lost to the Carleton Ravens in the first round of the playoffs for the second year in a row. But there were some substantial differences between the two games. Last year, the Gaels put up a 9-13 regular-season record and clinched the fourth OUA East playoff berth, but fell 67-58 at home to the surprising 8-14 Ravens, who recorded the first women’s basketball playoff victory in the school’s history. This year, the Ravens continued their ascent and finished third in the OUA East with a sparkling 14-8 record. The Gaels regressed to 7-15 and barely squeezed in to the last playoff berth. Carleton came into Wednesday’s playoff match in Ottawa the heavy favourites, and the Gaels were hoping to channel some of the Ravens’ previous unlikely success on the road. In the end, though, this was not a true underdog story. The Gaels fell 53-42.

The game began auspiciously for the Ravens, as they jumped out to a 19-10 lead after the first quarter. Queen’s fought back and closed the gap to four points after three quarters of play, but Carleton outscored the Gaels 14-7 down the stretch to seal the victory.

It wasn’t a game where the usual offensive stars shone. Ravens’ guard Tanya Perry led all players with 25 field goal attempts, over a third of her team’s total of 65, but she only hit four of them. At the other end of the floor, the Ravens were able to hold Gaels’ guard Brittany Moore—the OUA’s second-best scorer who averaged 17.82 points per game this season—to just six points on one-of-seven shooting. Ashleigh Cleary stepped up for Carleton with a 12-point, 11-rebound performance, and Kendra Walker-Roche led the Gaels with 14 points.