Festival has something for everyone

Fresh off the ferry, the Journal brings you a comprehensive guide to the Wolfe Island Music Festival

Holy Fuck is just one of the many bands performing at this year’s Wolfe Island Music Festival.
Supplied

When: Friday Aug. 7th – Starts at 5:00p.m.

Where: Wolfe Island Grill, Wolfe Island

Who: Bidini Band, The Gertrudes, The Hadbout Sharks, Shader and The Billie Hollies

Why you should go: The Wolfe Island Grill is the ideal place to start the weekend. The Grill is a local hangout and a truly charming venue. The lineup features some very chilled out folk bands and will feature Kingston’s own The Gertrudes. Sitting outside on the Grill’s floating patio and enjoying these folkies will be the perfect way to start off your weekend. Lake Ontario Waterkeepers, a non-profit group dedicated to keeping Lake Ontario clean, put this show on. How can you say no?

Cost: Free

When: Friday Aug. 7th – Starts at 8:30p.m.

Where: Marysville Town Hall, Wolfe Island

Who: Rocky Roberts, Bahamas and Sarah Harmer

Why you should go: Sarah Harmer has a long history with the city of Kingston. A Queen’s graduate, she’s always stuck around and if you’re lucky you might just sit next to her at The Sleepless Goat or spot her at a Luther Wright and the Wrongs concert at the Grad Club. You’ll have to pay to see her this time, but it’s well worth it. Harmer is set to release her new album soon and whenever she plays in Kingston you can tell she holds the people of the city very dearly. Opener Rocky Roberts, well known in the folk world, is making the trek from Massachusetts to Wolfe Island and is one of the few American performers at the festival.

Cost: $20

When: Friday August 7th – Starts at 10:30p.m.

Where: The General Wolfe Hotel, Wolfe Island

Who: Woodhands and P.S. I Love You

Why you should go: After all that folk and country music, you’re going to need something completely different. Woodhands and P.S. I Love You are completely different—in more ways than one. Woodhands are a dynamic and energized group from Toronto, who will get you dancing à la Electric Circus. P.S. I Love You is a Kingston staple and has played in many local bands. His latest solo EP was number one on the CFRC charts and bands passing through Kingston have taken notice of his glam rock garb and shredding guitar solos. The word on the street is he’s got a secret guest performing with him…

Cost: $15

When: Saturday Aug. 8th—Gates open at noon

Where: Marysville Baseball Diamond, Wolfe Island

Who: Holy Fuck, Busdriver, The D’urbervilles, Apostle of Hustle, Attack in Black, Rural Alberta Advantage, Ohbijou, Julie Fader, $100, Wintergloves, Cherry Chapstick, El Skibo

Why you should go: With people like Apostle of Hustle and Holy Fuck performing on a tiny island with a population of about 1,400 people, it’s no wonder this festival continues to gain notoriety. Although the lineup rivals much larger-scale Canadian and international festivals, it remains humble. The tickets are cheap, the musicians are relaxed and the crowd is always diverse. The lineup is also sure to please various musical tastes. With acts like $100 and Julie Fader fulfilling your folk needs, Apostle of Hustle playing their self-described indie-tropical-folk-rock, and Holy Fuck closing the night with their freaked-out electronica rock, the Wolfe Island Music Festival is sure to be the cure to your summertime blues.

Cost: $35

Wolfe Island Music Festival survival tips

Buy the full weekend pass for $50 and save money if you’re planning on going both days.

Tickets and festival passes are available at Windmills Café, Brian’s Record Option, The Grad Club and The Island Grill.

Online tickets can be purchased at
ticketscene.ca/promoters/119.

Unless you’ve got a boat, the ferry is the only way to Wolfe Island. The ferry ride from Kingston to Wolfe Island is about 20 minutes long. It’s a free ride and surprisingly fun. Located at Ontario and Barrack street, the ferry leaves at the following:

• Every half hour from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• Every hour from 2 p.m. to
10 p.m.
• 11:20 p.m.
• 12:40 a.m.
• 2 a.m.

To return to the mainland from Marysville catch the ferry at
these times:

• Every hour from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• 1:15 p.m.
• Every half hour from 2:30 p.m.
to 9:30 p.m.
• 10:40 p.m.
• 12 a.m.
• 1:20 a.m.

Full ferry schedule at wolfeisland.com/ferry.php.

Camping is included with a festival weekend pass. Upon disembarking from the ferry, turn right and walk east along Highway 96 for one block. Take the first right at The Town Hall. The camping site is located at the top of the hill. Walking time is about 5 minutes.

Bring an umbrella as the festival runs rain or shine.

All the venues are very short walks from the ferry dock, so it’s strongly recommended that you leave vehicles on the Kingston side and walk on board. You’ll avoid what can be a long and frustrating wait to put a car on the ferry during a busy summer weekend.

Bring sunscreen, water and lots of money for beer and Wolfe Island Grill cheeseburgers.

You can feel good about putting your hard-earned money into this festival. A true community festival, proceeds go to the Wolfe Island
Community Centre.