News in Brief

Burnes trial pushed back

Queen’s student John David Burnes will make his next appearance in court on Aug. 18 after being charged with one count of possessing child pornography and one count of making child pornography available.

His lawyer, Clyde Smith declined the Journal’s request for an interview.

Burnes, an archer who represented Canada at the Beijing Olympics last August, wasn’t present at the remand hearing July 21.

—Holly Tousignant

Principal announces VP search committees

Come September, Queen’s will still be on the hunt to replace its two top financial vice-principals after their sudden resignations last year.

Vice-Principal (Operations and Finance) Andrew Simpson and Vice-Principal (Advancement) David Mitchell both resigned on Nov. 20.

The search committees for new vice-principals, which consist of 10 and 11 members respectively, are primarily made up of University administrators and include AMS President Michael Ceci and Rector Leora Jackson.

Principal Tom Williams and Principal-Designate Daniel Woolf will co-chair the committees.

The search was delayed because the University wanted Woolf to have a hand in the decision, Williams said.

“I think it was probably delayed largely because we were waiting for Principal-elect Woolf to get on site.”

The University has also changed the name of the Vice-Principal (Operations and Finance) position to Vice-Principal (Finance and Administration). “Basically what we’re doing is trying to make the portfolio concentrate more on the finance side of the operation,” Williams said.

The committees haven’t set a deadline for the positions to be filled, but both plan on picking new vice principals in the fall term, he said.

—Holly Tousignant

AMS launches new website Aug. 1

After being hacked and disabled in January, the AMS website will be back online Aug. 1, AMS Vice-President (Operations) Leslie Yun said.

Yun said the domain will be moved to the University’s Information Technology Services (ITS) for better security.

“The website will be the same as before in terms of content,” Yun said.

The site is being developed internally by ITS officer John Piasetzki and AMS IT manager Callan Brown, which means there won’t be additional costs to revamping it.

The layout is being redesigned and the content, which was lost in the hacking, is being recollected, Yun said.

After the domain moves to ITS, the AMS will be able to cut back on its full-time IT managerial position, Yun said.

“Now that we’ll have a more secure set up, we should be able to save a lot of time and money because we won’t be dealing with the same problems we dealt with last year.”

—Madison Bettle

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to journal_editors@ams.queensu.ca.

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.