Male Athlete of the week

Danny Brannagan – Football

Football quarterback Danny Brannagan returned to the field with a bang after a concussion in Saturday’s 67-0 win over the York Lions.

Brannagan threw for five touchdowns and 543 yards, and ran for another touchdown. His 543 passing-yards was the seventh-most all time in a single CIS game.

After going down with a concussion during the Gaels’ 8-7 win over the McMaster Marauders on Sept. 12, Brannagan said he’s thrilled with his successful return.

“I think that it was a great first game back after my concussion” he said. “The offensive line did a great job protecting me well so I had lots of time to throw, and the receivers were doing a great job getting open and running with the ball after they caught it.” Now in his fifth year, Brannagan said he’s received a lot of support from family and friends.

“My parents haven’t missed a game since I’ve been at Queen’s, and my sister in second-year law comes out whenever she can make it.”

Brannagan has come a long way since starting tackle football in Grade three. Surprisingly, his recent concussion was his first serious injury.

A former OUA Rookie of the Year, Brannagan advises young players to prepare themselves to adjust from high school to university.

“I would tell them to really study the game,” he said. “A lot of things are more complicated when you make the jump from high school to university. Study the general strategy, plays built on offense and defence, and how other teams adjust from different things.” Brannagan said he’s excited to finish his accounting degree and begin work with the accounting firm Price Waterhouse Coopers next September.

“The opportunity for Canadian quarterbacks is limited, so realistically I know that this is probably my last chance to play competitive football.” -Kate Portner-Gartke

1)What’s your favorite team in any sport?

Can I pick the Queen’s Football Team?

2)Which superhero do you have the most in common with?

I don’t think I’ve ever really thought about it and compared myself to a superhero.

3)Boxers or briefs?

Boxers.

4)What’s on your iPod right now?

I’d say I have a lot of Canadian rap artists.

5)What is your hidden talent?

Hidden talent?? I’m brutal at these questions, sorry!.

6)If you were a dancer, would you do ballet or break dancing?

Break dancing?

7)Mullets or Mohawks?

You mean like on me? Can I pick neither?

8)Italian or Greek food?

Italian.

9)Who’s your celebrity crush?

I don’t think I have one.

—Kate Portner Gartke