Golfers continue strong results

Women’s golf team wins another gold at the Guelph Invitational; men’s team places sixth

Women’s captain Kate Burnett taps in a putt during the Queen’s Invitational on Sept. 20 at the Amherstview Golf Club.
Image by: Jake Edmiston

The women’s golf team enjoyed far greater success than their male counterparts last Monday at the Guelph Invitational. The women sustained their OUA dominance with another first-place finish, adding to their running tab of five gold medals. The men placed sixth overall.

Head coach Bert Kea said the choppy weather conditions prevented better individual performances.

“High winds and occasional rain, but nothing to stop play,” he said. “It definitely shows in the scores. Take away the wind conditions and I’d say all of them would be three or four strokes better.”

Despite the weather, the Gaels cluttered the women’s individual scoreboard, with four Gaels in the top five. Hailey Ingleson led the drive with a 79. The women’s score was 19 strokes below the second-placed Western Mustangs team.

Kea said he attributes the women’s success to their easygoing mentalities.

“They’re having fun,” he said. “They’ve bonded well together. If they have a bad hole they don’t get down, they put their nose to the grindstone and keep playing.”

The women are well-adjusted to competitive golf. Kea said their experience makes his team superior to the others.

“There’re just better players,” he said. “These girls have played a lot of competitive golf in the junior circuit and national level. They came ready to play this season.”

Women’s team captain Kate Burnett said the team is better now than it’s ever been.

“Considering the rain and stuff, we played well,” she said. “I’ve been on the team for four years and we’ve never shot that low. It just goes to show the quality of players we have.”

On the men’s side, though, Kea said the lack of experience and the loss of graduating players is starting to affect the team.

“Some of the other teams have recruited well,” he said. “Our recruits are good but not up to calibre. They’re a few strokes back to where we want to be.”

Three strokes away from the podium, the men’s team couldn’t find the form they enjoyed earlier in the season. Mike Hossack placed ninth, scoring three strokes over par. With the OUAs approaching at Toronto’s Angus Glen course on Oct. 19 and 20, Kea said his team is improving and isn’t convinced this season is strictly a rebuilding one.

“We’re slowly improving,” he said. “If they continue the same progress they can be medalists. They can come close to third.”