Gone in 60 seconds

Shooutout loss to Carleton Ravens in OUA quarter-final ends strong season for men’s soccer

Midfielder Nathan Klemencic rises for a header.
Goalkeeper Sean Martin-Courtight sits dejected after the last Carleton penalty went in at Tindall Field.
Midfielder Daniel McBride tries to get around Carleton midfielder Samuel McHugh during Saturday’s loss.

The men’s soccer season came to an abrupt end on Saturday afternoon with a shootout loss to the Carleton Ravens at Tindall Field.

Head coach Carlo Cannovan said the game was an honourable defeat.

“It was just a tough battle against a good, hardworking team,” he said.

The game was scoreless through regulation and overtime. The decision came as a 4-2 Ravens victory in the shootout. The win advances the Raven’s to next weekend’s OUA final four in Toronto.

The Gaels had some significant offensive chances throughout the game, including a shot off the crossbar by forward Andrew Colosimo.

Queen’s defender Justin Vermeer said the disappointing finish didn’t reflect the team’s effort.

“It was a really tough loss,” he said. “I thought we had it in the PKs but sometimes it just doesn’t go your way. I thought we had a lot of good pressure but we just couldn’t put the ball in the net.”

After a first-round bye, Queen’s faced a Carleton team that had given them their second loss of the season a week earlier. Vermeer said the regular-season loss to the Ravens didn’t trouble the Gaels.

“At the end of the regular season, we had second place locked up and we rested a couple players so we put out the whole starting line-up this time,” he said. “Near the end of the game we switched into a different formation to generate some offense and it just didn’t work out for us today.”

The Gaels’ season was an improvement from last year’s 4-6-4 record. It saw the emergence scoring powers in midfielders Jordan Brooks and Michael Arnold and continued solid play by goalkeeper Sean Martin-Courtright. Queen’s finished the season with an 8-2-4 record and finished second in the OUA East Division, behind only the University of Toronto Varsity Blues.

Vermeer said the early exit hasn’t dampened the men’s soccer team’s optimism for next year, despite losses of graduating players, notably fifth-year captain Michael Zanetti and fifth-year goaltender Sean Martin-Courtright.

“We had a really strong season considering last year we finished under .500 and then this season, finishing second place in the East,” he said. “We had a really good year and with people returning, we’ve got a lot of players returning back, guys who can make a big difference.”