AMS hires general manager

Commerce professor replaces retiring manager in permanent position

Annette Bergeron says the AMS General Manager position was recomended to her by another faculty member who thought the position suited her experience.
Supplied

Commerce professor Annette Bergeron, Eng ’87, will replace Claude Sherren, who is retiring, as the AMS’s new general manager on Dec. 7.

Bergeron will start her position on a part-time basis on Nov. 16.

“I report to the AMS Board of Directors and executive to help run the AMS both financially and operationally,” she said. “I serve as a constant with the transition of new executive members each year and have a sense of permanency within the organization.”

Bergeron said an acquaintance suggested she apply for the position after Sherren announced his retirement.

“It was recommended to me by a faculty member who knew of my C.V. and thought the position would suit my passions and experiences,” she said. “I’m very excited because of the wide operational range this position has and the fact that I will continue to work with students.”

Growing up in Kingston, Bergeron first acted in a Queen’s musical at the age of 10. She said she knew Queen’s for its academic reputation and pursued her undergraduate degree in metallurgical engineering.

Bergeron worked for eight years at Dofasco Inc. as a production engineer, and then pursued an MBA at York University’s Schulich School of Business.

She has taught at Queen’s for nine years. She teaches introduction to commerce and economics for engineering students.

She was the director of first-year studies in the Faculty of Applied Science from 2002-08.

Bergeron worked as Shad International’s Queen’s Chapter co-director and was the president and chair of the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers.

In 2002, Bergeron was one of four business partners who opened the Bergeron Estate Winery.

“I saw that Prince Edward County didn’t have much of a wine industry and saw the opportunity to get in on the ground floor while the industry was still growing,” Bergeron said. “The winery is still open, but I’ve sold my shares in it.”

As an undergraduate student, she was president of the Metallurgical Society and was involved in the dance club, she said.

“I never got around to varsity soccer and I still regret that.”

Bergeron said she doesn’t have specific plans for her new role yet.

“I enjoy a challenge.”

Reporting for duty

The AMS General Manager’s responsibilities are:

•Accountable to AMS executive and the AMS Board of Directors

•Build relationships with student body, 50 salaried, 500 wage and 1,500 volunteer student management and staff

•Liaise with six other AMS permanent staff

•Develop business plans and performance measures with AMS executive, commissioners, directors, managers and officers

•Ensure the efficient and
cost-effective use of the AMS’s financial, human, facility and operational resources

•Assist the AMS Board of Directors in providing oversight of the Assembly- and Board-approved operating budgets

•Create culture of accountability across the AMS

•Support Student Life Centre facility and support office

—Source: AMS General Manager Opportunity Guide