Female Athlete of the Week

Kristin Smith – Women’s hockey

Kristin Smith
Kristin Smith

Women’s hockey centre Kristin Smith led the Gaels in points in their 6-3 win over the Brock Badgers on Saturday, scoring one goal and adding three assists. The second-year kinesiology student has 17 points this season.

Smith’s hockey career started with a boys’ team in Etobicoke, Ont. She said those beginnings are still evident in her style of play.

“I was playing defence with the boys but when I was playing with girls, I switched to centre,” she said. “It definitely made me a bit more defensive minded. Taking care of our zone first is important for me.”

Smith came to the Gaels last season after playing in the Provincial Women’s Hockey League with the Etobicoke Junior Dolphins. Smith said there’s been a better team work ethic this season than last.

“The atmosphere of the team is more about working hard, staying dedicated and committed to each other. I think last year it was a bit lacking in that aspect,” she said. “One of our biggest assets is ability not to give up. We’ve come from behind a number of times this year. The heart is there this year.”

Smith said this year’s come-from-behind victories haven’t helped the team’s starts to games. In their latest game on Sunday, the Gaels lost 4-0 to the Guelph Gryphons after allowing three goals in the first period.

“That was a case of coming out flat,” she said. “Because we have come back in the past, we have started to rely on that … We just have to really keep to our game and not to play to the level of our opponents.”

The 14-5-2 Gaels sit second in the OUA and are ranked ninth in the country. Smith said she isn’t concerned about the excitement surrounding the national rank is something she’s not concerned about.

“It’s more of a side point,” she said. “Obviously it does contribute to confidence, but we’re trying not to pay attention to rankings and let the standings take care of themselves.”

What superhero would you be?

Spiderman. Hands down.

Balllet or breakdancing?

Breakdancing.

Favourite team in any sport?

Detroit Red Wings.

What’s on your iPod right now?

Everything from country to R&B, rap – everything.

Hot dogs or hamburgers?

Hamburgers.

If you had a free plane ticket, where would you go?

England.

If you were an ice cream flavour, which one would you be?

Vanilla.