Guide to Queen’s acronyms

in the Journal style guide, there is a dire warning written to all writers for this paper: “Beware (QAB): Queen’s Acronym Bullshit. because there are so many acronyms at this university, you can risk making your copy sound like a transcript of military code.”

That’s certainly what i felt, and continue to feel, since coming to queen’s four years ago. This school has abbreviations everywhere you look. I blame it on the students themselves, knowing what P&CC stands for gives you a feeling of being included in some big secret.

So, in order to help new students along this September, here’s a guide to some of the most common acronyms and how they can help you out.

Acronyms

What it stands for

What it is

AMS

Alma Mater Society

Starting with the biggest, the AMS is Canada’s oldest undergraduate student government and governs the majority of student services at queen’s.

ASUS

Arts and Science Undergraduate Society

The largest faculty society on campus, operates the ArtSci frosh week.

JDUC

John Deutsch University Centre

The home of the AMS, P&CC, QP and many more other acronyms.

ARC

Athletics and Recreation Centre

The recreational portion of the new Queen’s Centre. it cost an arm and a leg to build but the payoffs include treadmills and elliptical with built in TVs and fans.

QCARD

Queen’s Computerized Access and Registration Database

The soon to be replaced (with QUASR) online system you need to suffer through in order to register for classes, change timetables, order transcripts and more.

HCDS

Health Counselling and Disability Services

Not only a fully-staffed clinic, but a resource for students’ health questions and consultations.

MCRC

Main Campus Residence Council

The organization that provides services, self-government and discipline for students in residence. If you bring beer in underage, they’ll be the one writing you the ticket.

ILC

Integrated Learning Centre

Housed in Beamish-Munro Hall, the centre provides bookable rooms, study areas and engineering resources.

P&CC

Publishing and Copy Centre

Housed in the JDUC, they have printers and photocopiers, each complete with its own first name.

QFA

Queen’s First Aid

Emergency response team staffed by student volunteers trained in first aid.

TAPS

The AMS Pub Services

The section of AMS Hospitality Services that oversees Alfie’s and QP.

QP

Queen’s Pub

Beer and Food.