We’ve got spirit, yes we do…

Circle your calendars. Tie a string around your finger. Whatever it takes, remember these dates.

Queen’s students celebrate a football win at Richardson stadium during their run to the Vanier Cup last year.
Image supplied by: Journal file photo

The Fall term will bring games of rivalries, games of revenge and hopefully a few good, old blowouts to Kingston to start off the 2010 season. Football and men’s rugby have a lot to defend. Both are title-holders, but in September they start again from square one. The men’s soccer team is looking to avenge their disappointing early round exit from the playoffs, while the women’s team seeks to continue their dominance from last season. With latent applause from last season, the Gaels are looking to get back on the field, the pitch and the ice to prove that last season was no fluke.

Football

Can’t Miss: Windsor, Sept. 12, 1:00, Richardson Stadium

With our bigger rivalries being played on the road this season, the home-opener is your best chance for a raucous crowd and a thrilling game. The Windsor Lancers weren’t much competition last season against the Vanier Cup champions but with the loss of several key members including quarterback Danny Brannagan, we’ll be seeing a different team on the field this year.

The home-opener is always a guaranteed exciting game to attend as a fan. With Queen’s students from every year, the odd alumni and a great showing from the Kingston community, the atmosphere will be electric.

Men’s Rugby

Can’t miss: Western, Sept. 25, 1:00, Kingston Field

Rugby matches will be some of the best games you can attend on campus. Having gone two years without a regular season loss, they will always give the fans something to cheer about. There’s no excuse for missing a game on Kingston Field, because it’s located right on campus. After silver medals in 2007 and 2008, this year they will be the defending OUA champions. Their matches against the Western Mustangs bring out one of the best rivalries this school has to offer. This game will give you a chance to watch two of the most skilled rugby teams face off.

Women’s Rugby Can’t Miss: University of Toronto, Oct. 8, 1:00, Kingston Field

Leave for class a little early on this Friday afternoon to catch the Gaels take on the Varsity Blues at Kingston Field. The women’s rugby team is sure to delight after defeating Trent along with their playoff demons after advancing past the quarterfinals last year. Toronto was a bottom dweller in the OUA East with only one win last season but they were no pushovers against the Gaels in their one match-up. With a newfound confidence reinforced by their 10th place finish in the country, watch women’s rugby finish up their regular season at home.

Men’s Soccer Can’t Miss: Carleton, Sept. 25, 4:15, Richardson Stadium

Although the Gaels will have their season-opener in Ottawa, the grudge won’t fade when the Carleton Ravens finally make their way back into Kingston. The Ravens knocked Queen’s out of the playoffs in a heartbreaking shootout loss last season. Hopefully, Queen’s won’t feel the absence of graduating captain Michael Zanetti and goalkeeper Sean Martin-Courtright too strongly. Their second place finish in the OUA East should spark a sense of optimism and excitement for the 2010 season.

Women’s Soccer

Can’t Miss: Ottawa, Sept. 15, 5:00, Richardson Stadium

The Gaels had little competition in the regular season last year, having lost only one game to the University of Toronto. Their regular season games offer a primer for the intensity of the playoffs held at the end of October. Pre-season expectations for the Gee Gees were much higher, but after the Gaels dominated them, the Gaels came away with first place in the OUA and a third place finish nationally. The Gee Gees are not a team that is pushed around and will come back to Kingston looking to take back their place at the top of the OUA.

Men’s Hockey Can’t Miss: McGill, Oct. 29, 8:30, Kingston Memorial Centre

Don’t pay attention to the recent results of this historic rivalry; the fun is generally off the ice anyways. Kill McGill is the chant you’ll hear most often (along with others we can’t print) and it’s the namesake of this regular season game between the McGill Redmen and the Gaels. The Redmen are among the toughest competition the Gaels face, and the traditional rivalry between the schools amp up the Memorial Centre each year. Expectations are high for this year’s Gaels who have improved their roster with new recruits since their last meeting with the Redmen. This event is a fall classic that should prepare Queen’s hockey fans for a winning season.

Queen’s will also be the host of several tournaments you won’t want to miss out on.

Make your way down to the lake to watch our rowers in action at the Queen’s/U of T Meet. Held at the Kingston Rowing Club on Sept. 25, the tournament will be a great way to start your weekend.

The fencing team will host its Queen’s Invitational in mid-October this year. Jump on the bandwagon early as this confident team believes it has the skills to bring home an OUA banner. Cross-country will hold its annual tournament on Oct. 16. The Guelph Gryphons swept the men’s and women’s races at the Queen’s Invitational last year. With several individual stand-out performances, cross-country will look to find some team success this year.

Stay up-to-date with each weekend’s games on queensjournal.ca this year.