Six surprisingly scrumptious study foods

FoodBenefitsWhere to find it on campus

Coffee

Coffee is a great early morning energy-booster or late-night caffeine fix. The coffee bean is filled with rich antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins and minerals. Coffee has also been proven to help prevent mental diseases. To fully reap the benefits of coffee, it’s best to have it in its strongest form, like in espresso. It’s important to realize that although coffee does provide your brain with fuel, it’s only helpful with short-term memory performance. Coffee is best in moderation, as too much can alter your sleeping schedule, which is even more important in maintaining your

energy levels.

Common Ground, Tim Hortons, The Tea Room

Chocolate

Or more specifically, cacao beans. Minimally processed cacao beans are filled with antioxidants, flavinoids, catechins and other brain-enhancing elements. While it may be hard to find pure cacao beans on campus, a tasty alternative would be indulging in a brownie from Common Ground, where they have their brownies delivered from local bakeries which are less likely to have overly-processed cacao beans in their chocolate. Dark chocolate is also highly recommended as it contains more cacao and less sugar than milk chocolate.

Common Ground

Tea

Peppermint and green tea are especially beneficial. The scent of peppermint improves concentration, which is always useful when studying. Peppermint tea is also said to have healing properties for the common cold, nausea, headaches and other common illnesses and is naturally caffeine-free. Many claim green tea has long-term health benefits and it also contains a small amount of caffeine for a small energy boost.

Common Ground, the Tea Room

Yogurt

Yogurt is a great source of lysine, which helps calm nerves. In addition to being a delicious de-stresser during exam period or the night before a major paper is due, yogurt is also an important source of calcium, protein and B vitamin. Look for the words “live” or “active” on the yogurt packaging, which means the bacteria (and therefore the yogurt’s healthy properties) hasn’t been killed to increase shelf-life.

Mackintosh-Corry, the Lazy Scholar

Berries

Berries make a simple and delicious late-night snack option. Strawberries in particular are rich in Vitamin C, which helps ward off illness. They’re also relatively low in calories. Blueberries, cranberries, loganberries, currants, gooseberries, lingonberries and bilberries have similar nutritional benefits, and blueberries are also rich in antioxidants, which help to prevent damage to the brain. Fresh or frozen berries are highly preferable to unripe berries.

Booster Juice, Common Ground, The Tea Room

Soy milk

Soya contains isoflavones, natural plant oestrogens, which are said to improve verbal and non-verbal memory. Soy milk contains the same amount of protein as cow’s milk, with less saturated fat and no cholesterol, and can easily be used in coffee, tea or cereal for first-timers who are unsure about replacing cow’s milk entirely.

Common Ground