In memory

Queen’s saddened by loss of Andrew Lloyd

Andrew Lloyd, ArtSci ’12, traveled to Kenya in high school to build a school.
Andrew Lloyd, ArtSci ’12, traveled to Kenya in high school to build a school.

Over 300 people filled a standing-room-only Wallace Hall on Wednesday night for Andrew Lloyd’s memorial. Lloyd, ArtSci ’12, died last week at his student house in Kingston.

David Felkai was one of several friends and family members to speak about Lloyd on Wednesday. Felkai, who knew Lloyd since their time at Toronto’s Upper Canada College, said the immense turnout at the memorial proved how people were drawn to his friend.

“Lloyd was never just anyone’s acquaintance,” Felkai, Sci ’12, said. “It wouldn’t just end at hello. He’d know you after the first time you met.”

Lloyd’s mother, father and sister were at Wallace Hall long after the memorial’s close, speaking with friends about their son and brother.

Those who knew him spoke of Lloyd as generous and caring with a courage to speak his mind bluntly. According to friends at Queen’s, there was always a spot to sit in Lloyd’s bedroom for anyone wanting to talk.

“It was those simple things,” Felkai said. “He wanted to know how you were doing. He was never too busy for anyone.”

Felkai and Lloyd spent most holiday breaks with other close friends at cottages during the summer, and skiing and snowboarding during the winter.

“Going and not having him there is going to feel strange,” Felkai said.

While in high school, Lloyd traveled to Kenya with peers to build a school. He was a major proponent in fundraising for the trip. While in Africa, he climbed Mt. Kenya despite food poisoning.

“He would always push you to be more,” Remi Ojo, Sci ’12, said.

Ojo said Lloyd was the person he called when he needed advice.

“He was always reassuring,” Ojo said. “He had a kind of ‘don’t worry about it’ attitude.” Lloyd studied geography and economics at Queen’s, working at his uncle’s Kingston restaurant over the summer months.

Friends said Lloyd never showed up empty-handed to a dinner. A housemate said the remaining inhabitants of Lloyd’s Frontenac St. home are now without their de facto patriarch. Lloyd paid bills, offered advice and fended off burglars, said housemate Marc Gregoire, Sci ’12.

Any donations in Lloyd’s memory can to be made to the Canada Helps organization as well as the Lewa Wildlife Reserve—the organization Lloyd volunteered with in Kenya.

Khalid Diab, Sci ’12, worked out at the ARC with Lloyd almost every day. Diab said he was always at ease with Lloyd.

“I felt comfortable with him,” Diab said. “I could always just be me around him. I would do anything on my mind. I didn’t have to worry about what he’d think.”

Jake Edmiston


All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.